Did anyone Stop needing their CPAP?

MissCheri18
on 5/17/18 2:17 am - Daytona Beach, FL
VSG on 06/25/18

I only recently started using one (last Dec) and one of the hopes I have after my surgery is that I can get rid of the darn thing! I have seen where someone gave theirs up (on TV) but I am not seeing where anyone on here has. I know everyone is different I'm just trying to get some facts to balance my goals or expectations a bit better.

SKimster
on 5/17/18 4:33 am
VSG on 05/22/18

Oh I REALLY hope so!!!!

Following....

Kimmy in Canada

2017: Aug 16: Referral -- Sep 14: Orientation - Oct 5: Nurse - Oct 23: D/SW/N 2018: Feb 21: D/SW/N - Mar 12: Internist - Mar 23: D/SW - Apr 5: App't with Surgeon - Apr 23: Post-Op Class - May 3: Pre-op Admin in Hospital - May 22: SURGERY

Liz WantsHealthForAll
on 5/17/18 4:50 am - Cape Cod, MA
VSG on 03/28/16

I was diagnosed with sleep apnea during my work up for WLS surgery. My PCP said that if I wasn't making changes I would be put on a CPAP, but since I was having WLS he felt that the weight loss would resolve it. It did - I no longer have sleep apnea.

Liz 5'3" HW: 219 SW: 185 GW: 125 LW: 113 Desired maintenance range: 120-123 CW: 120 (after losing 20 lb. regain)!

MissCheri18
on 5/17/18 6:11 am - Daytona Beach, FL
VSG on 06/25/18

Thank you! My Pulmonologist said when I lose weight it should be corrected, they were worried I might have lung cancer or the beginning of COPD but my lungs are healthy so I have thought the VSG would help correct it but then under the Forum for Sleep Apnea here on OH I did not find anyone that it had or at the stage, they were at it hadn't.

sds0029
on 5/17/18 7:05 am
VSG on 01/19/15 with

No more machine for me. My breathing has so improved since surgery (3.5 yrs)

Janet P.
on 5/17/18 7:50 am

I had life threatening sleep apnea that was diagnosed several years before I even considered WLS. I even had to have a pacemaker put in because of the sleep apnea.

Within the first month after surgery (I had the DS) was already adjusting my CPAP and within 6 months I was off it completely. I had two sleep studies after the weight loss. The cardiologist finally agreed to remove the pacemaker once we knew the sleep apnea was gone. I have never had any issues since (and that's almost 15 years).

As an aside, I became a case study for my pulmonologist because he was trying to show that in some cases sleep apnea can be eliminated simply by weight loss. I was his proof.

As long as you don't have any underlying issues that causes your apnea, hopefully you'll be off it too!

Janet in Leesburg
DS 2/25/03
Hazem Elariny

jenorama
on 5/17/18 7:53 am - CA
RNY on 10/07/13

I was Dxed with pretty severe sleep apnea in the pre-op testing and I used my machine religiously, even bringing it on a cruise with me. A couple of weeks after surgery, I started getting a super dry mouth with it, so I stopped using it and haven't looked back. My husband used to snore really badly, but he's lost 50 lbs himself and barely snores at all anymore.

Jen

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 5/17/18 8:20 am
RNY on 08/05/19

I was on a CPAP for over a year before surgery. At my 6 month post-op appointment, I was told I could stop using it. :)

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

H.A.L.A B.
on 5/17/18 10:34 am

I have a friend who had mild COPD before VSG. ^ moths post op her numbers did not improve. It got worse.

She has to use her CPAP more not less following her Surgery.

Hope for the best- but be prepared for he worst.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

MissCheri18
on 5/17/18 11:32 am - Daytona Beach, FL
VSG on 06/25/18

That is good to know, although I am sorry for your friend. I do not have COPD, matter of fact my lungs are almost perfect surprisingly considering the major health issues I've had they think the sleep apnea is totally because of my weight, so I am hopeful.

Most Active