Did anyone Stop needing their CPAP?

theAntiChick
on 5/18/18 8:57 am - Arlington, TX
VSG on 08/17/16

I was diagnosed with sleep apnea several years before surgery, and was on CPAP.

About a month after surgery, my mask didn't fit anymore, and there wasn't a smaller size. Because of how ridiculously hard it was to find a mask I could tolerate, I tried sleeping without the CPAP. My husband says the only time I snore anymore is when I have a cold, and he hasn't noticed any apnea. I haven't woken up with the tiredness and headaches like I used to. So I've been without it for over a year now, with no evidence I still have apnea.

I do need to get a formal sleep study to confirm it, it's on my list of things to do. I don't recommend anyone stop without discussing it with their doc and if your apnea is severe don't stop without a sleep study confirming you're OK again. I did explain it to my PCP, and she said I was probably OK without it, since it appeared about 40 lbs before my heaviest weight and appeared to be completely connected to the obesity, and I've lost over 100 lbs, and none of my apnea symptoms have returned.

* 8/16/2017 - ONEDERLAND!! *

HW 306 - SW 297 - GW 175 - Surg VSG with Melanie Hafford on 8/17/2016

My blog at http://www.theantichick.com or follow on Facebook TheAntiChick

Blog Posts - The Easy Way Out // Cheating on Post-Op Diet

MissCheri18
on 5/18/18 10:30 am - Daytona Beach, FL
VSG on 06/25/18

First, congrats on your progress! I have an appt. with my Pulmonologist in Aug. which will be about 2-months after my tentative surgery date of June 18th so I'm sure he will want to re-do the sleep study just to be sure. It's just nice to hear some have been able to stop using the machine, I have meds I know I will be able to get rid of eventually and there are a couple I may not ever be able to go without but that can be reduced again, one for my heart not sure if I can stop that one completely or not and one to prevent blushing which I will never be able to stop using. But I guess right now it is the CPAP that darn thing really bothers my skin.

theAntiChick
on 5/21/18 4:45 pm - Arlington, TX
VSG on 08/17/16

Yep, I'm in the same boat. I have meds I will be on forever, regardless of my weight loss. But I got off 2 blood pressure meds, the first one within weeks of the surgery, and the other a couple months after. I also had my auto-immune rheumatoid disease go into remission, removing the immunosuppressant medication I was on. I've now weaned off the PPI, with no reflux issues. I set up my pill packets a week at a time, and I am constantly looking for "the rest" of my meds, because what I'm looking at can't POSSIBLY be enough meds. For the first time in years, I take more supplements than prescriptions. Losing the CPAP has been nice, too. :D

* 8/16/2017 - ONEDERLAND!! *

HW 306 - SW 297 - GW 175 - Surg VSG with Melanie Hafford on 8/17/2016

My blog at http://www.theantichick.com or follow on Facebook TheAntiChick

Blog Posts - The Easy Way Out // Cheating on Post-Op Diet

animallover1247
on 5/19/18 1:41 am

I have lost 144 lbs (90%of excess weight) and off my CPAP. I had my sleep study redone after I lost about 70 or 80 lbs and was able to stop using it at that time. I only had mild sleep apnea when I was diagnosed but absolutely needed the machine regardless of it being "mild." I am so glad to be rid of that damn thing !

NCMTNEER13
on 5/21/18 11:36 am
VSG on 11/26/18

I just got diagnosed with Sleep Apnea and am being prescribed a CPAP. However I expect to have VSG by the end of the year. Should I get the CPAP and use it now? And if I do use it and I do lose a lot of weight for VSG, how will I know if I still have sleep apnea and need to use the CPAP? Can I just request a 2nd sleep study?

MissCheri18
on 5/22/18 2:02 pm - Daytona Beach, FL
VSG on 06/25/18

Yes, you can and should request another sleep study. Typically when you tell the Dr. that prescribed the CPAP that you have lost a lot of weight they will want to redo the study.

Most Active