Anyone with >10 years since VSG ??

NCMTNEER13
on 5/23/18 9:50 am
VSG on 11/26/18

I would really like to hear from anyone that has had their VSG for more than 10 years. If so, have there been any unexpected side effects or problems as a result of VSG.

I am still nervous about VSG because it still seems "new". I know its actually been around for a while, but not as long as RYN. My wife had a lap band implanted 10 years ago when it was "new" and we know how that turned out for most band users. I want to make sure VSG doesn't have the same thing happen. Any unexpected complications or side effects? I'm really curious about the long term effects of VSG. Of course, I know that uncontrolled obesity with have far greater consequences for the long run, so I'm not questioning the value of WLS, but I want to make sure that VSG isn't something I will regret in 10-20 years.

mmsmom
on 5/23/18 10:13 am - Woburn, MA

I had a lapband for 7 years of misery - and have had my vsg since 2014. I couldn't be happier. It is 1000X better than the lapband and I have had a much easier time losing and maintaining weight loss with it. No regrets - only joy!

VSG on 04/28/2014

Jess Says Yes
on 5/23/18 12:49 pm, edited 5/23/18 5:57 am
VSG on 10/24/17

Hey there. I was wary myself. I found it reassuring that VSG is actually the first half of the duodenal switch procedure which has been around for more than fifty years. Because the anatomy is not being rerouted the procedure is pretty straight forward. The primary complication being GERD.

Jess

To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all. - Oscar Wilde

Pre-op:-32 M1-26 M2-11 M3-13 M4-10 M5-13 M6-8 M7-12 M8-7 M9-7 M10-0 M11-11

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 5/23/18 2:08 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

There's a lot of data on VSG, and we're not seeing nearly the complication rates on it that we have with the band.

Unfortunately, there seem to be a lot of patients having to revise their VSG to RNY due to GERD that develops post-op. While it seems to happen to people who had acid problems before surgery, it can happen as a brand-new problem to some people who never had GERD in the past.

What has led you to pick VSG over RNY?

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

(deactivated member)
on 5/23/18 3:31 pm
VSG on 10/11/16

One of my reasons for going with VSG is that it kept all my plumbing in the order in which God intended. It's still the same stomach, just smaller. It would be that way if part had been removed for cancer, gunshot wound, etc.

And who knows? I might not even be around 10 years from now. There are so many freaking idiots out there staring at their phones as they fly down the road, there are more immediate things to occupy my attention. I had several close calls just today, driving around conducting my business. And I am fairly cautious, especially when I am in my subcompact.

(deactivated member)
on 5/30/18 3:30 pm

I know what you mean sooo many people text and drive.

Any given day you see people texting and driving even on the highway! Not looking at the road. Death rates have to be up! Definitely a pet peeve of mine too!

(deactivated member)
on 5/30/18 4:46 pm
VSG on 10/11/16

I just drove 890 miles in the past two days to facilitate family relationships. Yeah, if we could get the morons off the road...

Valerie G.
on 5/23/18 6:38 pm - Northwest Mountains, GA

The sleeve started getting respect as a stand alone surgery in the late 2000's when insurance started covering it. As the first part of a 2-step DS, enough patients were seeing enough success to not need the second part that surgeons started looking at it in a different light. Thankfully, it's the perfect replacement for the Band. The only disappointments I've seen with it is that some get GERD pretty bad and others may not ever reach goal or start regaining, some because of what they eat, while others need that malabsorption of the DS. The GERD sufferers are cured with RNY.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

msmoose1
on 5/24/18 4:04 am - OK

I sleeved in December 2011, lost 150 lbs and really having no problems keeping it off. Just plenty of gym trips

B. Jones
on 5/24/18 2:50 pm

I'm 9+ years out now. No issues other than what others have said about GERD. Nasty stuff when it hits hard, but with Prevacid and staying away from excess carbs it's controlled pretty good for me. IT was bad for a couple years, but once I got back on the wagon 4 1/2 months ago. I've only needed Tums 2x now, I still enjoy coffee and spicy foods just can't go crazy with it.

I knew plenty of people with the DS when I was doing support group more often. Many had 10+ years no problems.

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 57 views