8 Weeks Post-Op: Should I be on the keto diet?

Ashley P.
on 5/24/18 10:16 am
VSG on 04/04/18

I'm 8 weeks post-op and have been on the keto diet since two weeks before my surgery. I've had great success averaging about 3 lbs weight loss per week but am now undergoing my first stall. The scale hasn't moved in over 6 days despite following a perfect keto diet. I'm also light exercising (walking) but will admit that my water intake is a struggle.

Is practicing keto immediately following surgery the right way to go?

My daily marco intake is

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 5/24/18 1:12 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

Your post got cut off. If you use the greater than or less than signs, OH will mess up!

After the first few weeks, the scale will NOT move every day. Heck, it won't move every week. As time goes by, we lose weight at a slower and slower rate. This is perfectly normal and nothing to stress out over. Stalls happen!

Keto is great, some people swear by it, but the bottom line affecting your weight loss is calories. The general recommendations are 600 - 800 calories, over 60g protein, under 25g carbs. Follow that, and you'll do fine!

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Ashley P.
on 5/29/18 8:09 pm
VSG on 04/04/18

Thanks for the posting tip, Julie!

Stalls are discouraging but at least they eventually pass. I definitely need to reset on my water intake. It's so hard because I can't chug water like I used too. And I miss carbonated drinks. No regrets though. Having this surgery is the best thing I've ever done for myself.

I'm going to take a break from daily weighing and reevaluate my calorie intake. I think the keto diet is great but perhaps too limiting for me right now. I'm going to low carb it instead, upping my net carbs to 20 per day and not stress if I decide to indulge every once in a while.

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 5/30/18 2:07 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

Sounds like a good plan! If the day-to-day weighing gets you down, try a site like Trendweight that will help you to see the long-term progress of your measurements.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Kristi T.
on 5/25/18 9:11 am - MT
VSG on 02/09/16

I pretty much followed what Julie suggested above, especially the first 6 months. Definitely up your intake of fluids. I stalled when my fluid intake was poor, but found that if I kept my fluids above 64oz my stalls were shortened...especially if I set my daily goal to be above 80oz. Water infused with lemon or cucumber, Crystal light, homemade ice tea and good ole plain water, I use everything:-)

Ashley P.
on 5/29/18 8:10 pm
VSG on 04/04/18

Water infused lemon sounds heavenly! I've been indulging in Powerade Zero to help boost my fluid intake. I also bought a 80oz water bottle that I'm going to glue to my side. LOL

Kristi T.
on 5/30/18 9:15 am - MT
VSG on 02/09/16

Good idea! I start the day out with a 28oz bottle before noon, 32oz bottle before 5pm and a 24oz before bed. This is the only way I have found to make sure I get all my fluids down. Any trick you can find to help stay hydrated is a good idea:-)

JoeAverage
on 5/31/18 12:52 pm
VSG on 01/25/18

Keto for me was a great way to keep calories down, if I was eating low-carb + high protein I would be sated and stay fuller longer, and my calories just seemed to fall in a range that promoted weight loss rates I was happier with.

Age 34 | Height 6'0" | HW 305 (2017) | SW 276 (1/25/2018) | GW 199 (5/23/2018) | CW 198 (5/31/2018)

Most Active