How long after VSG did or can we have alcohol?

J9
on 7/4/18 8:48 am
VSG on 06/28/18

I have a business trip late August and was hoping to have a glass of wine or 2. I will be alittle over 8 weeks out.

hollykim
on 7/4/18 8:50 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On July 4, 2018 at 3:48 PM Pacific Time, J9 wrote:

I have a business trip late August and was hoping to have a glass of wine or 2. I will be alittle over 8 weeks out.

with all due respect, as soon as you want your weight loss to stop and regain to start.

PCBR
on 7/4/18 8:52 am

My doc advises a year. Bluntly, I would not do this if I were you. You will process alcohol very differently now. That one or two glasses might get you blitzed--not a good look while on business.

Jess Says Yes
on 7/4/18 9:29 am
VSG on 10/24/17

Alcohol is acidic and hard on the stomach, it's also taxing to the liver. Obesity and sudden weight loss both tax the liver. I would wait a few more months to let your body heal. I waited 5 months and did not feel well after drinking 2 glasses of wine.

Alcohol is high in empty calories and can interfere with weight loss. Please also research transfer addiction because it is something many of us are vulnerable to. I know these answers aren't fun, but I am learning that this is a common concern/problem in the wls world. Many veterans recommended giving up alcohol entirely. Personally, I'd like to be able to have a drink or two on occasion, but I admit it's not a good idea and I'm going to monitor it closely. Take care!

Jess

To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all. - Oscar Wilde

Pre-op:-32 M1-26 M2-11 M3-13 M4-10 M5-13 M6-8 M7-12 M8-7 M9-7 M10-0 M11-11

B. Jones
on 7/4/18 9:30 am

Don't do it. I'm a guy still weigh 275, one beer can give me a buzz if I drink to fast. First time I had one was almost 3 years out after surgery, split a beer with my mom at dinner. That half beer surprised me how quickly it hits.

Not worth it this early on.

califsleevin
on 7/4/18 5:12 pm - CA

To be blunt (as others above) if you are asking about this at this early stage, it is way too important to you than is healthy (this applies equally well to Big Macs, pizza, or anything else that is a likely contributor to your obesity problem.) While it isn't going to stop your weight loss and start your regain (that's just low carb diet mythology), transfer addiction is a very real possibility -

http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/amos/6034565/Im-back-and-i -am-an-alcoholic/

And, as others noted, it isn't great for your liver which is likely already damaged from obesity and further taxed by rapid weight loss. Surgical programs vary widely in their perspectives and instructions (we were contracted by ours to not consume any alcohol at all during the weight loss phase, as a minimum.) Also as noted, you probably really don't want to be experimenting with this in a business environment - the results could well be much worse than whatever questioning you may get by skipping it.

1st support group/seminar - 8/03 (has it been that long?)  

Wife's DS - 5/05 w Dr. Robert Rabkin   VSG on 5/9/11 by Dr. John Rabkin

Gwen M.
on 7/4/18 10:06 am
VSG on 03/13/14

When you want to stop losing weight and when you're ready to suffer with alcohol addiction.

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Teresa G.
on 7/5/18 8:37 am
VSG on 06/07/18 with

Proceed with caution.

And read this: http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/amos/6034565/Im-back-and-i -am-an-alcoholic/

Transfer addiction is very real.

Teresa (WA State)

VSG on June 7, 2018 (At age 59)
Start of Program (1-1-18): 303 n Surgery Weight: 260 n CW (10-16-18): 203.4 n GW: 175 (first goal)

H.A.L.A B.
on 7/5/18 9:26 am

Ideally - never.

The advice is from someone who had no problem with alcohol before WLS. I could have a glass and often I did not fini**** Post op alcohol hits me hard. It become a "tool" for stress and anxiety, and to gut pain. Or just because. Before WLS i only drank socially and never by myself.

I am 10 years post op and I just decided to stop drinking alcohol all together. Post op it feels like it is controlling me. I don't believe I am an alcoholic yet- but unless I take actions - I would be one. Plus - even tough I still eat good diet - proteins and veggies, over last year I gained 30 lbs. 10 was on purpose, the rest- alcohol. Empty calories. My body would burn that and put away as fat the calories from food.

I know enough people with alcohol dependence. I am not going to be the one. I was under the impression that I could control my drinking when I start. I found out the hard way - I can't. And I did not like it.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

(deactivated member)
on 7/6/18 5:51 am

I felt the same as you, not a huge problem YET but could feel it could have become one. Don't touch it now.... rarely drank before WLS either. The pull became stronger. Not worth it. Now if I want something fancy when out I have a virgin Bloody Mary (stressing the Virgin a few times) or unsweetened ice tea.

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 41 views