Need help to quit vaping before surgery

DietVapeJuice
on 7/8/18 2:02 pm

Good afternoon,

I'm new here and i've found it helpful to read others experiences for prepping before surgery. A big concern of mine is quitting vaping. I quit cigerettes 2 years ago and I use an electronic cigarette instead. I tend to have an issue with oral fixation (eating especially) and I have been using my vape as a crutch while trying to diet. I'm afraid when I completely stop vaping before surgery it will cause me to go crazy and have a lot of trouble keeping food out of my face. Any tips on something else I can do for oral fixation thats not smoking or eating?

TheWombat
on 7/8/18 6:04 pm, edited 7/8/18 11:04 am
VSG on 06/11/18

You could start carrying a bottle of water, and taking a sip from it whenever you feel the urge to vape or eat. This would be an especially good habit to develop before surgery. After surgery, avoiding dehydration is critical.

During the months prior to my surgery, I paid attention to the triggers that made me want to eat unhealthy foods. For me, in order of importance, they were 1) not feeling like cooking, and 2) being stressed. I then made a plan of attack for dealing with those triggers after surgery. In addition to food prepping, I found a lot of healthy foods that require little or not preparation. I made a list of things I could do when I feel stressed, like drink herbal tea and cuddle my cats.

PCBR
on 7/8/18 6:35 pm

Tha****er idea is really smart!

HW: 260 - SW: 250

GW (Surgeon): 170 - GW (Me): 150

DietVapeJuice
on 7/8/18 6:19 pm

Wow thank you I'm def going to try your suggestions thank you!!!

Gwen M.
on 7/8/18 6:27 pm
VSG on 03/13/14

Have you considered working with a therapist on this?

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

DietVapeJuice
on 7/8/18 6:57 pm

I have had many therapist in the past and I haven't found one that I like and that has helped me. I started an anti depressant maybe once that kicks in it might help?

Gwen M.
on 7/9/18 5:55 am
VSG on 03/13/14

It would probably behoove you to find a therapist that you do click with. It can be challenging and you might have to try out many before you find The One. Surgery only changes our stomachs, if we want long-term success, we've got to do the hard work of changing our brains.

In your case, if you're already going into this with an oral fixation and depression, it would really be in your best interest to take the time to find a therapist you can work with.

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Shannon S.
on 7/9/18 8:34 am, edited 7/9/18 1:35 am
VSG on 11/07/17

Wish there was an easy way. I quit 12 ish years ago. My issue was the withdrawal symptoms and I used a patch for that. I was able to quit (after 10 years smoking). I just hated the potential damage I was doing to my body. I hated it more than I loved the cigarettes. Psychologically I felt I was doing more damage to myself by continuing the terrible habit. Not sure about the vaping and it?s adverse health effects, but I?m sure it isn?t good. Make your health a priority and this will help with your willpower.

MissCheri18
on 7/9/18 8:52 am - Daytona Beach, FL
VSG on 06/25/18

Well, after 30+ years of heavy smoking I quit with no help and no withdrawals even after I found the mental trigger, not everyone does and I sure hadn't the MANY times before that I stopped only to start again. I think counseling will help but in the meantime, get those coffee stir straws and simply chew on those until it passes, you don't want to create gas like a reg. straw might but those little stir ones would work perfectly and I've actually seen people doing it.

Good luck and good luck on your new journey.

5' 2". 60-year-old (at time of surgery)

HW 239.9, SW 223

GW (Surgeon) 150, GW (Mine) 135

Cheri

IamevilHomer
on 7/9/18 1:44 pm
VSG on 06/01/16

Have you considered working with your state's quit line? They generally set you up with a free one on one quit coach and after so many contacts over the phone with your coach they will offer free or reduced cost tobacco cessation aides such as patches or lozenges. If you call 1800-quit-now the National Cancer Institute will help you to locate the number for your state's quit line. I have the number for the state I practice in and have referred many patients over the years with good success.

Good luck with this positive move forward for your health!

Most Active