Low-sugar yogurt?

BobbieDoll
on 8/5/18 3:27 pm - CO

My surgery is Tuesday. I am shopping for all of the foods and vitamins needed for the first couple of weeks after surgery. My diet plan has low-sugar yogurt on it. I can't find any yogurt that is low-sugar. What should I be looking for?

Miss150
on 8/5/18 3:58 pm

I'm thinking (but you may want to ask to be sure) that by low sugar they mean for you to stay away from sugary-sweetened and flavored yogurts.

Dannon Oikos plain Greek has only 6 grams of sugar per 5.3 oz and a whopping 15 G protein. Greeting the yogurt strains the whey out which is where the milk sugars- lactose is found.

6 g sugar is pretty low --for example, a medium carrot has about 3 g sugar.

Way to begin reading those nutrition labels--the skill will take you far in your WLjourney. Best of luck.

goal!!! August 20, 2013   age: 59  High weight: 345 (June, 2011)  Consult weight: 293 (June, 2012)  Pre-Op: 253 (Nov., 2012) Surgery weight: 235 (Dec. 12, 2012) Current weight: 145

TOTAL POUNDS LOST- 200 (110 pounds lost before surgery, 90 pounds lost Post Op.diabetes in remission-blood pressure normal-cholesterol and triglyceride levels normal!  BMI from 55.6  supermorbidly obese to 23.6  normal!!!!  

Gwen M.
on 8/5/18 4:31 pm
VSG on 03/13/14

I'd concur that this probably means "low added sugar." So read the ingredients carefully and skip things that have sugar, cane sugar, fructose, high fructose corn syrup, honey, and other words that mean sugar.

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Laura in Texas
on 8/6/18 5:43 am

If you have Kroger in your area, their Carbmaster yogurt has the lowest sugar content I have found- 2 grams of sugar per cup for the vanilla. I love the taste, too!!

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

MarinaGirl
on 8/6/18 7:53 am, edited 8/6/18 12:55 am

FAGE Total plain Greek yogurt has 20g of protein, 6g of sugar, and no artificial sweeteners. It was my #1 yogurt post-op for maximum nutrition!

califsleevin
on 8/6/18 10:25 am, edited 8/6/18 9:18 am - CA

Yes, they are presumably talking about low sugar added, as if you are dealing with plain yogurt, the sugar goes along with the protein (they're both from the milk solids) so the concentrated higher protein Greek (or now, also Icelandic,) yogurts will have more sugar than the standard yogurts, but also proportionally more protein. For our early post-op use, the Greek yogurts are usually the preferred owing to the higher protein content - you can use the regular type yogurts like the one Laura suggested, but you need three times as much of it to get the same protein (and about the same sugar, too.) It's a good snack for later when you aren't so protein needy.

If you want the flavored yogurts, then things get more complicated as there are naturally sweetened and artificially sweetened varieties (usually going under banners such as CarbSmart or Carbmaster.) I generally avoid avoid such products as they tend to be overly sweet and as a result, the fake sweetened ones usually have an objectionable amount of the fake sweetener taste and character. An alternative if you want it flavored is to do it yourself, either with real fruit and if necessary a bit of sweetener to taste (real or fake - the fake ones tend to be less objectionable when used in moderation) or flavor it with a little jam or preserves, again real or artificially sweetened. The key here is that you control the amount of flavor and sweetness in it, and can fully account for it in your tracking.

Another alternative on the commercial side that would fall into the low sugar category is Siggis Icelandic yogurt that has a range of low sweetened flavored yogurts (and plain, too) that can be a good compromise between the national branded "low carb" products and their naturally sweetened products without fiddling with doing your own blend.

I prefer a vanilla greek yogurt but not as sweet or artificial as the normal products, so I blend naturally sweetened vanilla greek yogurt with the plain, and add more vanilla extract to it to keep the flavor while cutting the sweetness and sugar. I started with a 50/50 blend and worked down to a 3:1 plain/vanilla blend. (I can also add some full fat yogurt into the mix to get whatever fat content that I need.)

1st support group/seminar - 8/03 (has it been that long?)  

Wife's DS - 5/05 w Dr. Robert Rabkin   VSG on 5/9/11 by Dr. John Rabkin

BobbieDoll
on 8/6/18 3:37 pm - CO

Thank you for the information.

Most Active