3 months post op and barely eating anything - no appetite

econvey
on 8/17/18 7:13 pm - White Plains, NY

Hi! Im 3 months post op, down 65lbs, but im struggling so much with eating. Nothing hurts to eat, nothing upsets my stomach, its just that I literally have no appetite. im getting really worried because I dont want to damage my health by not eating, but its just so hard. I can't do protein shakes because they make me nauseous. I occasionally do protein water but its just not sustainable and my nutritionist wants me to get all my protein from real food. I dont know what to do anymore. I probably eat like 400 calories a day, not even. Its not on purpose tho, its just that I dont have an appetite. Help! I dont know what to do anymore.

Memafu
on 8/17/18 3:34 pm

Don't worry I had the same issue. Just make it part of the routine like brushing your teeth. Come up with a healthy menu and stick with it. As my body adjusted I stared to enjoy eating again. The hardest part was breakfast. I started doing the single serve box's of pacific brand organic soup. I would add unflavored protein powder, brewers yeast and some spices. I would follow that with an isopure protein drink. Between the two it was lots of protein, liquid and b virimins plus about 400 calaries. That got me through half the day and I would add more food in as I recovered. You just need to find what works for you that you can maintain and is nutritious. I still love my soup for breakfast n

(deactivated member)
on 8/18/18 1:13 am
VSG on 01/12/17

I am almost 2 years out and rarely have an appetite. If you are not eating because you just don't feel hungry then simply eat by the clock. Eat ever 3-4 hours. Doesn't have to be a lot, but something. Yogurt, cottage cheese, etc. If you are having trouble stomaching the thought of eating, it may be a mental block

Grim_Traveller
on 8/18/18 5:22 am
RNY on 08/21/12

For now, think about food as medicine. You need 60-80 grams of protein every day, and some fats, or your health will suffer. Thats all you need. You WANT to be low calories, and low carbs, to burn body fat.

Hunger will return. A year from now, probably much sooner, you will want to eat all the food, all the time. You'll look back on lack of hunger fondly. Make the most of it while you can. Just get that essential protein in.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

MissCheri18
on 8/18/18 8:55 am - Daytona Beach, FL
VSG on 06/25/18

My VSG Team do not want me to use Protein Powder drinks any longer either, OK, they don't recommend it after X weeks but in my case they would rather I drink one or more and get 30g in than not get enough protein in (min of 60g). I found they made me sick when pre-made or mixed with any kind of milk but then I found that if I mixed the Vanilla ones in with flavored WATER it worked like a charm so maybe try that and then try to get in some other protein high foods like others here have suggested. If at towards the end of your meal time for the day you are low on the protein try another Protein Shake... you can also mix protein powder in with SF Puddings. My VSG team also is clear on do NOT count or worry over calories, just focus on low carbs and high protein!

5' 2". 60-year-old (at time of surgery)

HW 239.9, SW 223

GW (Surgeon) 150, GW (Mine) 135

Cheri

catwoman7
on 8/20/18 9:38 am
RNY on 06/03/15

It's normal, and hunger eventually returns for the vast majority of us. Use it to your advantage - it's way easier to lose weight when you're never hungry! I'd do anything to be there again ! Just make sure you're getting all your protein in. ..

RNY 06/03/15 by Michael Garren (Madison, WI)

HW: 373 SW: 316 GW: 150 LW: 138 CW: 163

Most Active