I give up.

georgeb3
on 9/6/18 11:47 am - Abington, PA

I'm 3 months out from my VSG WLS. I have been suffering thru severe depression for at least a month. I also stopped losing weight around the same time. I'm simply hungry all the time - like I was before the surgery. I just don't have the willpower to keep fighting every hour or every day.

I'm done.

George

Lapband - 2007-2017: HW: 313, SW: 275, LW: 263
VSG - May 2018: HW: 300, SW: 278, CW: 241, GW: 180

(deactivated member)
on 9/6/18 11:53 am
VSG on 01/12/17

If you are feeling that badly, have you spoken to your doctor about this? You have radically changed your body, being done after all of that seems short sighted. There are people who can help you. A therapist, your surgeon.

PCBR
on 9/6/18 11:53 am, edited 9/6/18 4:54 am

What are you done with, George? I?m sorry to be pushy, but you need to talk to a pro mental health person and your surgeon ASAP. The tone of this post is really concerning. Your hormones are crazy, your body is adjusting to new calories, your stall is NORMAL (I'm also at 3 months out, I've been there too). I also feel hungry, but drinking plenty of water helps. Don't decide to be "done".

HW: 260 - SW: 250

GW (Surgeon): 170 - GW (Me): 150

Harpediem
on 9/6/18 12:06 pm

Of course you're depressed. You've just lost your best friend. If you've been an emotional eater you're going to feel this loss it's normal. And since obesity is life-threatening, get yourself to a therapist. VSG doesn't affect the mind, but the changes it brings on can. Also, have you been taking anything for acid reflux? If you have excess acid you'll feel hungry all the time. So see your surgeon and a therapist. This will pass.

Pauline

Harpediem
on 9/6/18 12:08 pm

Oh, and by the way you've lost an amazing amount of weight in a short time. Your body will slow down weight loss from time to time. That's normal. You've been doing really well.

Pauline

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 9/6/18 12:28 pm - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14 with

It's not just willpower. Your body & your mind is going thru a major change. You should see a therapist to help you get thru all the mind stuff. As far as hunger it could be that you need a change in your meds. The ppi that you're on, if you're on one, may need to be changed.

You didn't go thru surgery 2x, to give up now. Give yourself a moment & then get back to business. Hang in there.

No one surgery is better than the other, what works for one may not work for another. T-Rebel

https://fivedaymeattest.com/

Gwen M.
on 9/6/18 12:43 pm
VSG on 03/13/14

Have you talked with your doctor about your depression? Are you seeing a therapist? Do these things, please. You're worth fighting for!

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

itsjustmisty
on 9/6/18 2:20 pm
VSG on 10/10/18

Depression is an evil little booger... Life is very much a fight. More so for some than others. I have battled depression my whole life. Doctors, pills, therapy none of it has made the thoughts go away. I have learned that I don't think anything really will. Although, I would like to believe it's possible. One of the biggest things that has stuck with me in therapy was taking things so personally. I don't know about you but for me I am so personal. I take everything I do and put myself on this super high pedal stool and then watch myself dangle in distress. When I begin to dangle I pick apart everything I have done wrong.

It's easy for me to fall into this trap because it feels everything I do somehow I fail. And then I started thinking about "taking it personally" and wondered if my issue wasn't as much as being a failure. Failure in things happen. Infact many would say it's the foundation to success. Sometimes you don't even know how to make something better until you see what all is wrong with it first. So if failure wasn't the real culprit, I wondered if it was me just taking it too personally. Basically, I'm too hard on me. I compare myself all the time in every aspect of my life and then I expect myself to live up to this ungodly expectation. I set my own self up for failure without even knowing it.

The other thing I learned, there probably won't be some knight and shining armor to save me. I wasn't probably going to have that special friend, moment, doctor, or pill that was just going to make me a happy person. That was going to make the things I have issues with disappear or make the thoughts I had fully go away. The only person who has the true power to save me... Is ME. I know people don't want to hear this. We want to believe so bad we can save people. But I don't believe we do. I believe we influence people but the choice ultimately to breathe each day is yours. So what do we do? We take it all minute by minute.

In our case we ask ourselves am I truly hungry, or is my body craving something else? Is it thirsty? Am I feeding it foods that are not fueling it properly making it think it's hungry? IS it head hunger? With the scale is this just a stall (which happens all the time) or is it I know I am not following the plan. That I cheat, maybe eat too many foods that are not helping me be successful. Am I not drinking enough water (This will cause a feeling of hunger and it can stall weight loss). Am I not being active? It's amazing what a walk in fresh air will do for you. Are my vitamin levels low. How's my thyroid. There are so many contributing factors. You have do decide if you are going to be proactive in your live or reactive.

I am sorry that you are depressed. Depression sucks. Feel your feelings. But also take a stroll to your docs office and make sure your blues are not something that is easily fixed. And if they are just a deeper demon. Well, then talking helps. Being active in something. And just sometimes not being so hard on yourself does a world of wonders. I hope you feel better soon! HUGS. Take it easy.

hollykim
on 9/6/18 2:52 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On September 6, 2018 at 6:47 PM Pacific Time, georgeb3 wrote:

I'm 3 months out from my VSG WLS. I have been suffering thru severe depression for at least a month. I also stopped losing weight around the same time. I'm simply hungry all the time - like I was before the surgery. I just don't have the willpower to keep fighting every hour or every day.

I'm done.

eating carbs and being dehydrated can cause hunger. Are you getting 64+ oz of liquid a day and avoiding carbs?

Shannon S.
on 9/6/18 3:39 pm
VSG on 11/07/17

Never give up! Stalls are normal. You've lost a tremendous amount of weight. Our bodies are very tricky. Have you been diagnosed with depression? Are you on meds? I'm not a big advocate for meds in all situations, but you could at least see a mental health professional and discuss your options. You can do this! Get a grip on your emotions and enjoy what you've achieved, and know this is not an overnight process.

Most Active