More Questions 11 Weeks Postop

Mindy325
on 9/8/18 9:12 pm
VSG on 06/26/18

Hi guys. Me again. A few more questions. First: When I eat solid protein however long it takes me to get it all down, I still feel full for another 2 or 3 hours. My program says drink 30 minutes before or 30 minutes after eating. Even if I wait an entire hour after eating before I drink, I'm still uncomfortably full. Say I do drink some water after that hour, if it doesn't make me vomit, isn't that also pushing everything through my sleeve faster so that I become hungry faster? Second: They say we should stop eating before we even get full. When do I get to the stage where I can just stop eating before it gets uncomfortable and still get enough protein? Or should I start and stop eating protein an ounce here and an ounce there all day? But then there's the inhuman amount of water that needs to be timed 30 minutes before and after the protein. Third: What time in the day do you guys start and stop eating? Do you try to stop by 6:00 pm? Fourth: I've been tolerating chunky peanut butter, but then peanuts are legumes, not nuts. I tried some raw nuts. I find them softer than roasted ones. I chewed them very well and had less than an ounce at a time, but they still gave me that tight heavy feeling in my stomach. When were you all able to tolerate nuts? Thanks in advance guys.

(deactivated member)
on 9/9/18 4:29 am
VSG on 01/12/17

If you are eating until you are uncomfortably full then eat less. You can break your food up all day to get your protein in. Don't focus on eating three meals a day only if you are trying to. Eat a little then 2-3 hours later eat a bit more.

30 minutes is plenty of time to wait.

You are only 11 weeks out. You are going to feel lots of restriction. Measure out your food, weigh it if you have a scale. It will help you know how much you are taking in when you eat.

I had a lot of trouble tolerating real peanut butter the first time I tried early on. It was too thick. Nuts don't have a lot of protein in them for a snack this early on.

Gwen M.
on 9/9/18 6:16 am, edited 9/8/18 11:16 pm
VSG on 03/13/14

You're definitely eating too much if you feel "uncomfortably full" after eating. Eat less.

You'll likely still need to supplement solid food with protein shakes to reach your protein goal at this point.

There is no reason not to drink prior to eating, you just shouldn't drink during meals or for 30 minutes after. (If your program tells you otherwise - ASK WHY.)

It's important to measure your food, so that you don't eat too much.

My plan is pretty strict about 3 meals a day, no snacks. So it would consider "an ounce here, an ounce there, all day" to be grazing which is NOT ALLOWED. My plan also wanted me to keep meals to be no longer than 30 minutes. So if I don't finish what I've got in 30 minutes, I stop.

So at your point I was doing 1 protein shake a day (which I still do) and 2 solid meals which were 2-4 ounces, depending on how I felt at any given meal. If I didn't get enough protein from those solid meals, I'd add in another protein shake.

I eat my first meal when I wake up or when I finish exercising (so between 8am and noon normally), I eat meal #2 around 3-3:30pm and I eat meal #3 around 7:30-8pm. Timing doesn't matter - eat your meals at the times that work for your life. My meals are planned because I like to exercise fasted and eat after, I don't get hungry for lunch until around 3pm, and my partner gets home from work around 7:30pm.

Peanut butter wasn't in my plan, so I can't help you there. I tried to stay away from "snack" foods in general for a long, long time.

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

MissCheri18
on 9/9/18 7:26 am - Daytona Beach, FL
VSG on 06/25/18

I'll be 11 weeks tomorrow so I'm about the same as you. My surgical team have me eating 6 times a day, I actually rarely do that now I'm more 3-4 meals and I eat 2-3 oz. protein and if I have room I eat a veggie as my side dish but it is rarely a serving size. When I am feeling FULL or I find myself starting to burp a bit I QUIT eating, my body has had enough. I would say you need to weigh your food or measure it - it sounds like you might be trying too big of a serving?

As for drinking, I drink right up to when my food is ready and then I do NOT drink with my meal or for 30-minutes afterwards and then only sip what I need, you do not need to drink down a 1/2-1 cup or more right away, just remember to sip and yes I do drink my full 64 oz. min. now but remember many drinks count not jus****er!

I rarely drink Protein shakes anymore, (if you do remember they count towards your fluids too) I can typically get in over my min. of 60g of protein via my food choices, normally I get in about 100g but IF I CAN'T get at least 60g then I have a Protein shake at the end of my day. I have some days where I know I will not be able to get in my protein so on those days I actually will make a Coffee w/Protein to start my day.

I do not have set times I eat. My meals fit into my day I just figure out when I get up when breakfast, lunch and dinner should or can be at. I am normally up no later than 5am but I do not eat my breakfast at that time, it's just too early for me, I take my meds at that time and one goes in juice - so I normally have my breakfast at about 7-8am and then figure from there for the rest. I do try to never eat within 2-3 hours of going to bed at night.

5' 2". 60-year-old (at time of surgery)

HW 239.9, SW 223

GW (Surgeon) 150, GW (Mine) 135

Cheri

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 9/10/18 4:55 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

If you're still full 30 minutes after eating, you're likely eating too much. Are you weighing and measuring your food? I would suggest measuring out smaller portion and seeing how that works.

I don't really restrict my times of eating. When I was early on, I found that I needed a late-night snack around 8pm or so in order to reach my protein goals.

Nuts are generally not a great choice while trying to lose weight. You need to be pushing as much protein as you can, and nuts (including peanut butter) are too high in calories for the protein they offer.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Mindy325
on 9/10/18 6:08 pm
VSG on 06/26/18

Hi! Yes, I always weigh my food unless it's something that I know the weight of like the small can of tuna. I'm hoping that I don't have a stricture. I don't want them to have to dilate my sleeve, because they might make it too large and defeat the purpose.

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 9/11/18 8:13 am
RNY on 08/05/19

A full can of tuna is 5oz; most people struggle to get in 4oz in a single sitting.

Try weighing out smaller portions; start with 2.5 or 3oz of chicken or beef.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 49 views