Puréed food stage

Divvva
on 9/19/18 11:31 am

Hey guys, I had my vsg surgery September 5th and I am now 2 1/2 weeks out. Right now I'm in the puréed food stage and don't have a clue of what to eat. Most things that I am puréeing such as mashed potatoes, refried beans with salsa, bananas etc are ok but I can eat only one time and I don't want it anymore. Plus I've noticed that I'm getting full with 3 to 4 baby spoons. Does anyone have any suggestions or perhaps even a website with pureed food/recipes.

Divvva

Dcgirl
on 9/19/18 11:47 am - DC
RNY on 12/16/13

Hi! All plans vary - I didn't even had a pureed phase - I went from full liquids to mushy foods. So I was allowed to have greek yogurt (Dannon Light and Fit has great stats - high protein, low sugar/carb), ricotta cheese, refried beans, cottage cheese, super mashed up egg salad, super moist tuna. So it depends what your surgeon told you. The first weeks, really work on getting at least 60 oz of liquids per day - I did a protein shake for almost two years, daily...it helped towards my liquids total and also gave me 20 g of protein. You want to work towards 60 g of protein per day and then even increase that. My PERSONAL opinion is that mashed potatoes, applesauce, bananas etc have very little nutritional value. You should focus on protein and more protein. Here is an awesome blog that a member here has...she gives pureed food recipes and ideas!

World According to Eggface

Good luck!

(deactivated member)
on 9/19/18 12:38 pm
VSG on 01/12/17

I made beef stew with vegetables and blended it. I did refried beans also early on, yogurt was a big one.

Divvva
on 9/19/18 12:50 pm

Thank you guys so much for your response. I bought some chicken salad, tuna and turkey lunchmeat. I'm going to purée those and try them over the next few days to get more protein. I've been drinking my shakes but I know the amount I'm drinking isn't enough.

Thank you so much.

Divvva

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 9/19/18 1:14 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

A few other ideas:

• Greek yogurt
  • ricotta cheese
  • strained cream soup (especially if you can add protein powdre)
  • scrambled eggs, if you do them a bit runny
  • cottage cheese
  • hummus
  • mashed caluiflower
  • pureed lentils or lentil soup

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

(deactivated member)
on 9/19/18 6:20 pm
VSG on 01/12/17

Hummus is a great one! I forgot about it. I was craving something hot and spicy so I bought jalapeno hummus early out. It was great.

Divvva
on 9/19/18 6:25 pm

I haven't had hummus in a while. Kinda forgot what it taste like. But I'm most definitely going to try it again. Anything's worth a try at this point.

Divvva

on 9/20/18 8:39 am
RNY on 08/05/19

Absolutely! Many people find that their tastes change quite a bit after surgery, and things they disliked before are actually not so bad, if not tasty, afterwards.

Pre-op, I absolutely could not stand yogurt. Now I eat it almost every day! :)

Divvva
on 9/19/18 6:22 pm

Thank you Sparklekitty.

Those are great ideas. I miss scrambled eggs and I already eat them runny.

Divvva

on 9/20/18 8:39 am
RNY on 08/05/19

Make sure to take it slow with the eggs. I know I had trouble with them at first, and lots of other people here on OH seem to do as well. For some reason, they didn't sit well in my stomach and made me pretty queasy for the first few months. By about the 6 month point they were OK, but I definitely avoided them at first.

Most Active