3 days post op

jrbushey1234
on 9/21/18 10:50 am
VSG on 09/18/18

I can't tell when I'm full from having broth or protein shake, been taking a ounce at a time, but dont have full sensation

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 9/21/18 11:28 am
RNY on 08/05/19

This is totally normal.

Fluids will not stay in your stomach and provide any sort of full feeling.

Additionally, the nerves in your stomach have been cut, and you won't have any feelings of restriction (when eating solid food****il they heal, which could take weeks or even months.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

cappy11448
on 9/21/18 11:30 am

It took me a while to know if I was full. what I found is that my nose runs when my tummy is full. its still true, 5 years later. my nose still runs when I'm full, although I know by volume how much I can eat at a meal now. its about 3/4 of a cup now. it was probably 1/4 cup soon after surgery.

I'd just take it slowly at first, and you'll get a sense of what works for you.

congratulations on your surgery.

best wishes,

Carol

Surgery May 1, 2013. Starting Weight 385,  Surgery Weight 333,  Current Weight 160.  At GOAL!

Weight loss Pre-op 1-20 2-17 3-15 Post-op 1-20 2-18 3-15 4-14 5-16 6-11 7-12  8-8

9-11 10-7 11-7 12-7 13-8 14-6 15-3 16-7 17-3  18-3

jrbushey1234
on 9/21/18 11:33 am
VSG on 09/18/18

Thanks for your advice

TheWombat
on 9/21/18 6:05 pm
VSG on 06/11/18

As others have said, it's perfectly normal that right after surgery you can't tell when you're full. So you need to measure everything. I think it was about three weeks before I began to feel a vague full sensation, and probably six weeks before I could reliably detect it. Different people have different full sensations. Some people get runny noses (I get that occasionally). For me, I know to stop when I become aware of my esophagus. If I go past that point, I'll get discomfort. If it's really bad, I'll get pain, and regurgitation, and possibly the foamies. That happened more than I would like to admit during the first six weeks, until I learned my body's signals.

Also, I recommend that you practice eating s-l-o-w-l-y. Even when you know what your full sensation is, it's easy to overshoot that full point if you eat too quickly. That's one of the things I'm still struggling with. One thing that helps is if I'm eating with other people. Then I naturally try to make my tiny portion of food last as long as their full plates.

Shannon S.
on 9/21/18 6:14 pm
VSG on 11/07/17

That is normal. Take it easy. Just drink a couple of ounces at a time. Your nerves have been severed and the full sensation will not return for a while. However you will eventually become uncomfortable if you eat too much. Still at almost a year out the sensation I get is not the same full feeling. It's more like an uncomfortable sensation, like if I take one more bite I'm going to pay. Only made that mistake once. I listen to my stomach gurgle (the sign I get when I'm at full ccapacity). Wishing you a speedy recovery.

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 44 views