VSG and Diabetes - 5+ years out

ankarew
on 10/8/18 2:35 pm

Hey all

Any VSGers at least five years out whose diabetes is still in remission?

Were you insulin dependent pre VSG?

If your diabetes is still in remission 5 or more years out, what is your diet like? Any regain?

Thanks!

happyteacher
on 10/9/18 2:21 pm

Officially diagnosed diabetic about a month before surgery, but for sure blood sugar issues were a thing long before that. Not insulin dependent. Total remission since surgery. My a1c dropped drastically right after surgery out of even the pre-diabetic category. Once I stopped exercising though, the a1c started to climb and I was nearing prediabetic territory. I am overdue to get checked, but suspect I have crept up a tad more since last checked. My goal weight was 195 (6'2'' female- normal bmi weight at the top of the normal range). I have yo-yo'd a bit since surgery with most of the time being between 185-190. I am currently sitting at 193, but working toward getting to 188 or lower. Gain is from sweets- my lifelong nemisis. Other than that I tend to still eat the way I did when I was in the weight loss phase.

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

ankarew
on 10/9/18 9:14 pm
On October 9, 2018 at 9:21 PM Pacific Time, happyteacher wrote:

Officially diagnosed diabetic about a month before surgery, but for sure blood sugar issues were a thing long before that. Not insulin dependent. Total remission since surgery. My a1c dropped drastically right after surgery out of even the pre-diabetic category. Once I stopped exercising though, the a1c started to climb and I was nearing prediabetic territory. I am overdue to get checked, but suspect I have crept up a tad more since last checked. My goal weight was 195 (6'2'' female- normal bmi weight at the top of the normal range). I have yo-yo'd a bit since surgery with most of the time being between 185-190. I am currently sitting at 193, but working toward getting to 188 or lower. Gain is from sweets- my lifelong nemisis. Other than that I tend to still eat the way I did when I was in the weight loss phase.

Hi appreciate the response! post vsg, did you continue to track blood sugars at home?

Here's hoping your sugars are in the pre diabetic range or better. what other labs do you get drawn? (wls related)

happyteacher
on 10/15/18 4:28 pm

Not with any regularity. What I do, however, is when I suspect I am going high or low with any type of frequency is track like a maniac for 2 weeks. I log every bite, carbs, protein, time I ate it, and test like crazy. I test when I first wake up, right before eating, after eating 15 min, 1 hr, 1.5 and 2 hour increments. I found that this identified the foods that were triggering issues. I have done this maybe 3 times since surgery to help adjust what I am eating. I have not done it recently because I know it is the sugar crap doing it ;)

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 28 views