Depressed?

FreedomGirl
on 10/30/18 8:51 pm
VSG on 12/27/18

Anyone ever feel just depressed when thinking about all of this WLS stuff? I know that it's going to be a good thing and I'm excited to keep going in the process, but it seems like lately I'm just down and am feeling overwhelmed with it all. I'm not talking about clinical depression or anything, just down, but a lot...

And if people have felt that way pre-op, does it get better post-op once you start seeing the weight come off?

__________________________________________________________________________________________________

5'6" Female 31 years old

HW: 273 / SW: 261 / GW:140

Chanelcamp26
on 10/30/18 10:43 pm
VSG on 07/24/18

If you are feeling depressed now, I'd suggest talking to someone. After surgery is pretty rough because of the huge changes your body will go through. Right after surgery, many have those " what did I do to myself?" thoughts. I was depressed because I couldn't take part in some activities with my friends and family in the first two weeks after surgery.

However, I totally understand feeling down during the process leading up to surgery as well. You are learning a new lifestyle, being given a ton of information, questioning your decision, and probably wondering why and how you got to this point. I know those were some of the things I found overwhelming.

Not to mention all the tests and appointments.

Hang in there. Use this forum and any resources available to you. Depression is something I have struggled with all my life. WLS didn't solve any of my mental health issues. Yes, the weight loss is nice to see. But they say to heal your mind, body, and spirit.

Shannon S.
on 11/5/18 3:34 am
VSG on 11/07/17

I was more nervous, excited, and scared. Not really depressed. This should be an exciting time. You are about to change your life for the better. Stay positive! You may want to talk to a therapist to try and deal with your feelings.

Also remember a lot happens to us hormonally as we lose weight. These feeling may get worse post surgery.

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 11/5/18 10:24 am
RNY on 08/05/19

Honestly, weight loss brings with it a whole NEW set of problems. I dealt with very serious body dysmorphia, I felt like a fraud for changing my body, and I was angry about the social privilege I gained once I got thinner. I worried about new things, and had a whole new set of problems to work on.

I would suggest finding a therapist or counselor who can help you sort through all of your feelings. This is a HUGE change and professional help can be very useful!

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

FreedomGirl
on 11/6/18 6:59 pm
VSG on 12/27/18

You all have been so gracious in your responses and I really appreciate the support and advice. Thank you all! I have definitely made OH a daily part of my weight-loss journey and am grateful for all that you all have done to help me along.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________

5'6" Female 31 years old

HW: 273 / SW: 261 / GW:140

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 35 views