3weeks post-op feeling blah

ElaP
on 11/12/18 6:26 pm, edited 11/12/18 6:42 pm
VSG on 10/22/18

Hi all. I?m not sure what?s going on with me. I?ll be 3 weeks tomorrow... and it feels like a lot longer than that. A few questions:

1- when did you go back to work?

2- anyone have muscle spasms? I just started getting them in my legs.

3- I feel like I?m doing this all wrong. Not getting enough water, not enough protein... very little excersizing- just low energy and still in pain over that huge incision where my stomach cane out.

I?m losing weight, but I feel like crap! I don?t know what?s going on with me!

hollykim
on 11/12/18 7:40 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On November 13, 2018 at 2:26 AM Pacific Time, ElaP wrote:

Hi all. I?m not sure what?s going on with me. I?ll be 3 weeks tomorrow... and it feels like a lot longer than that. A few questions:

1- when did you go back to work?

2- anyone have muscle spasms? I just started getting them in my legs.

3- I feel like I?m doing this all wrong. Not getting enough water, not enough protein... very little excersizing- just low energy and still in pain over that huge incision where my stomach cane out.

I?m losing weight, but I feel like crap! I don?t know what?s going on with me!

what is going on with you ,is you are recovering from major surgery. The symptoms you are having are perfectly normal. It can take 3-4 more weeks before you feel yourself again.

for the leg cramps,try som G2 Gatorade. You might need the sale and electrolytes in it. Also,how much liquid are you getting a day? Dehydration c@n cause leg cramps too.

ElaP
on 11/12/18 7:56 pm
VSG on 10/22/18

True, you're right and thank you for the reminder! It is still early!

Im getting about 50 ounces of water a day, plus protein shakes and broth. I'm going to get more Gatorade! Good point.

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 11/13/18 7:38 am
RNY on 08/05/19

I went back to work 2.5 weeks after surgery, and really wished I could have stayed home longer. I was EXHAUSTED and felt like I'd been hit by a bus. I took naps every day after I got home from work for at least a month after that.

Muscle spasms/cramps could be due to dehydration. You admit that you're not getting enough water, and that's a big problem! There are lots of things you can try: different temperatures (I had much better luck with warm water), or things like tea, Crystal Light, Mio drops, or warm broth.

Don't worry about exercise for now. If you can walk a bit, that's great, but don't push yourself. You've just come through major surgery and your body has a lot to adjust to. Be patient with yourself and take all the time you need to heal!

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

ElaP
on 11/13/18 9:28 am
VSG on 10/22/18

Oh thank you! Ok, so when did you start excersizing? And what kind of activities did you do? I'm going to get more liquids now. Thanks for the reply!

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 11/13/18 9:31 am
RNY on 08/05/19

At first, I just took walks because I was way too tired to do anything more than that. I would walk a lap around the office park during my lunch break, which is just shy of a mile, and that was a good start.

Once I lost a bit more week, probably by the 3 or 4 month mark, I started doing a lot of cycling. I started very slowly, doing short rides in my neighborhood, and slowly increased the time and distance. By the time I reached my one-year surgery anniversary, I managed to ride 40 miles in a big race!

Now that I'm almost 5 years out from surgery, and I have a 3-year-old son at home, I don't have much time for cycling. Instead, I joined a roller derby league and skate several times a week for exercise!

The most important thing about exercise is to find something you enjoy. So take your time and try lots of things, because you'll never know what sticks! And if it takes you a while to have the strength to exercise, that's totally OK.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

ElaP
on 11/13/18 6:28 pm
VSG on 10/22/18

Really good to read this! Thanks, I'm feeling better already

Dcgirl
on 11/13/18 7:56 am - DC
RNY on 12/16/13

TOTALLY normal. I don't think it sounds like you have anything weird going on, with the blahs. I went back to work after a week but I experienced hormone swings and random rage for a few months, I want to say. I think part of it was the changes happening in my body (physically) but another big part was that I used to use food as a coping mechanism and I no longer had that ability! I remember about a month post-op, I had an AWFUL and stressful day at work...now, before surgery, that would have called for me getting home, ordering a pizza, and eating the entire thing. After surgery, I went home and put my chicken sausage in the toaster oven and got full after half of it. I realized OMG I can't eat my feelings. I had to realize that I used food when I was happy, sad, stressed, lonely...and I no longer could. So it may be a mix of physical and psychological for you too.

Like Julie said, unless you are sleeping or eating or for 30 minutes after a meal, be sipping. Try flavored water (Crystal light drops are yum) or regular water. Try hot tea. Try chicken broth. Try iced drinks, room temp drinks, try them all. Focus on liquids.

If you're not getting enough protein, try protein waters (from GNC) or ready-to-drink (RTD) ones like Premier Protein, or maybe order the Syntrax nectar brand of sample packs from amazon. Try mixing them up with water, or with ice, or with Fairlife (high protein) milk. You will get protein and liquids through that. I was so tired of sweet things after a two week pre-op and post-op protein shake diet that I bought Isopure brand unflavored protein powder and mixed it with warm (not hot or it will clump) water and chicken bullion. Whatever it takes, up your liquid intake.

For the next year, your job is to stay laser focused and stay hydrated, and eat high protein. Ditch the white carbs and reach your goal. You're worth it.

ElaP
on 11/13/18 9:26 am
VSG on 10/22/18

Well, I'm going to screen shot your reply and print it for the reminder!! Thank you, I really needed to hear all of this!! I appreciate the reply. Heading to the store now to up my liquid and protein options.

I definitely used to use food for every emotion in the past, too. I'm trying to come up with better coping mechanisms. So far I am journaling and reading... 2 things I had lost over the past 15 years. Whether I'm stressed, happy, mad, sad... it didn't matter, I always turned to food.

Luckily, my cravings aren't present...yet, and hopefully never surface. But, I'm realistic, too. The holidays are upon us, and I've been trying to front load with plans to NOT get sucked into the overindulging! The thought of eating like I used to, gives me a grossed-out feeling. So, hopefully I will stay on track.

Dcgirl
on 11/13/18 12:21 pm - DC
RNY on 12/16/13

Journaling and reading are a great start! I can't tell your starting and current weight, but I know that once I got to maybe the 250s in weight (I had surgery at 351, god, hard to believe!) I started going to the gym. It was a great way to build up strength and occupy time, and the side effect is that I became friends with fit people at my gym who in turn motivated me to keep going to classes. Over time I became a person who woke up on a Saturday and went for a hike with a friend or tried a spin class, rather than someone who woke up and ate a pound of food and lay on the couch. Being active and figuring out when I could fit in classes and cardio sessions really helped me from just chilling at home dreaming about food.

I also set little milestones with "prizes" along the way. Like, I will get a pedicure any month I lose at least 15 lbs. Or, I will buy that awesome but expensive bag I want when I lose 100 lbs. Stuff like that was very motivating for me!

Unfortunately the urge for me is still there. I am not a fortunate one for whom hunger hasn't returned. That being said, 90% of the time it's head hunger. I think this is why so many long-term veterans stress the importance of therapy. I haven't gotten there yet but maybe one day! If it's an option for you, I'm sure a ton of people can tell you how important it is for their continued success.

Liquid and protein are your friends. I am so glad you are finding more options. It will help you lose weight and be strong and healthy. Good luck - this forum is a great place! You should also think about joining the daily What Are You Eating threads on the RNY and VSG board (people with either surgery are welcome on both of them!). It's a great way to see what people are eating as they progress through stages/over time, and it's a fabulous way to get to know people and vice versa. I used to lead the RNY one wayyyy back in the day. Trust me, my friends and family did not need to hear me obsess over my calories and protein intake, but I knew I had a little family who got it, right here on OH :)

Most Active