How long was it before you could handle all textures of food?

TheWombat
on 11/22/18 12:41 pm
VSG on 06/11/18

I'm five months out, and I still have trouble with some food textures.

• vegetables - I can easily digest them in soups (because they end up very soft). I can eat a small amount of normally cooked veggies, but they feel "pointy" in my stomach. For this reason, I mostly get my veggies in soup form.
  • dry food - Every once in a while I'll try falafels from our company canteen. Even though I take bites that are 25% falafel and 75% salsa, and chew 20 times, my stomach is very unhappy until they digest.

It's not a big deal to me, but I thought this would be over by now. I am curious if this is likely to go away any time soon. How long was it before you could handle all textures of food? Or are you several years out and still having to consider food texture.

Valerie G.
on 12/7/18 8:11 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

Some in time - some notsomuch. This is me after 13 years:

• Potatoes can lodge themselves like concrete for a bit. If I eat too fast, I might throw them up.
  • Rice seems to double in size after I eat it, so I eat very slowly in tiny amounts.
  • Chicken breast sits like a rock in my stomach. Pounding it thin and breaking down the fibers is an improvement, though. Thighs and anything stewed and tender chicken pieces are much easier on me.
  • I have the same issue with crisp-tender veggies. It has lessened after about 10 years, but I still err on the side of softness, but I do enjoy salads now.

With the salsa, it may be onions upsetting your stomach. I cannot handle what used to be a staple in everything I made for meals. I did find that after many years I'm not as sensitive to green onions, so I'm happy to find a reasonable substitute now.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Most Active