Milk causes nausea

ladygodiva1228
on 12/14/18 4:39 am - Putnam, CT
Revision on 02/04/15
On December 12, 2018 at 8:21 PM Pacific Time, califsleevin wrote:

No, I wouldn't add sugar to anything (that's what SBUX is for!) but something like milk with intrinsic sugar is no problem - that's what aids transport of the protein to the muscle tissues. Intrinsic sugar (that which is naturally occurring in the food) is usually not a problem and is usually an indicator of foods with useful inherent nutritiion (such as dairy, fruits and vegetables.) Sugar that is added, typical of our processed and packaged food is a much more significant problem with the Western diet and should be avoided whenever possible.

There is a problem. Intrinsic sugar is not the only sugar in milk. As a matter of fact there are only minimal traces of intrinsic sugar in milk. The majority of the sugar is from lactose. In milk, sugar is a specific type of carbohydrate, and lactose is the primary source of sugar in milk. Lactose is a disaccharide, meaning it is composed of two smaller sugars, namely glucose and galactose.

The lactose is why many people have issues with milk and milk products.

Dr. Sanchez Lapband 9/12/2003
hw305/revision w280/cw197/gw150

Revision from Lap Band to Bypass on 2/4/2015 by Dr. Pohl

califsleevin
on 12/14/18 9:44 am - CA

Okay... is this a problem, other than for those who have an allergic reaction to lactose?

There are some here who have a phobia about sugar, and carbohydrates in general, because they deem them to be 'evil' and use that as an excuse to avoid eating their fruits and veggies, and yes, milk and dairy as well. That's okay for them - we all have our "things" - but is no reason to avoid these foods in general, even for the benefit of weight loss.

1st support group/seminar - 8/03 (has it been that long?)  

Wife's DS - 5/05 w Dr. Robert Rabkin   VSG on 5/9/11 by Dr. John Rabkin

itsjustmisty
on 12/14/18 10:35 am
VSG on 10/10/18

Except the OP is drinking Lactos free milk.

H.A.L.A B.
on 12/18/18 8:35 am

Lactose Free means they added enzymes to digest the complex lactose into simple sugars. Simple sugars that are smaller molecules that can be absorbt much faster than lactose.

When having low BS (blood sugar) - and person is not allergiec to milk - drinking milk would help bringing it a very low BS. Until I found out that I am alkerall to dairy proteins (not lactose) I would eat a few TBS of plain yogurt, or drink 1/2 glass of milk first thing am to "fix" my morning hypoglycemia. I was giving my body sugar (lactose), some proteins and some fat. It worked every time. (BTW - my morning hypoglycemia was not due to WLS).

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

itsjustmisty
on 12/18/18 9:45 am
VSG on 10/10/18

My point was that lactos free milk typically has less sugar and carbs compared to regular milk causing less of an issue for most (when we are speaking of sugar being an issue).

H.A.L.A B.
on 12/19/18 12:18 pm

I don't think I've had lactose free milk that had less sugar that regular milk, unless they process that differently. Some "milk" is not really just milk, but rather "milk beverage", that a company make starting with milk, the adding enzymes to predigest lactose, adding proteins (whey) next etc.

Any lactose free milk I used to drink had "milk and lactase (the enzymes to predgest lactose)"

Unfortunately that is not a case for me. Lactose free milk affect me more because the sugars in that are simple sugars. Regular milk can affect some people more because they may have lactose intolerance or simple sensitivity.

Bottom line - sugar is sugar. It an affect each one of us in a different way.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

(deactivated member)
on 12/12/18 3:11 pm

Thanks. I'll try again in a few months.

mrsdworden
on 12/13/18 1:06 am
VSG on 01/21/19

Sweet baby Jesus dont take my milk from me.....Amen.

Most Active