Whatcha Eating Today VSGers? Monday, 1/14/2019c

Gwen M.
on 1/14/19 6:00 am, edited 1/14/19 6:04 am
VSG on 03/13/14

It's a snow day! For everyone except me... my classes officially start today and online students don't get snow days.

I had a very busy and exhausting weekend. My mom and I met at her bff's house in order to get the bff set up with a new phone and teach her how to use it. The bff is very, very technology inept so this was quite challenging! It was important to me because I want my mom to be able to FaceTime/Skype with her bff when they get to the point that driving to visit each other is no longer possible.

QOTD: How do you feel about snow? Do you love it or hate it? Do you enjoy shoveling snow? (I'll reply in a comment.)

1: protein shake
2: celebratory hot cereal
3: leftover brisket
4: ham and split pea soup

liquid and vites: on track
exercise: shoveling snow!

How about you?

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Gwen M.
on 1/14/19 6:10 am
VSG on 03/13/14

QOTD:

I don't like snow for safety reasons. People always have to drive and not everyone knows how to drive in snow. Of course, even for the people who do know how to drive in snow sometimes all bets are just off.

I do love to shovel snow! Since I've lost weight I've found that shoveling snow is one of those things that just makes me feel so strong and capable! I love that feeling. And... the first winter post-WLS I realized that sometimes I just really wanted a bowl of hot cereal (oatmeal, cream of wheat, Ralstons, grits.. whatever. Lance calls it all "gruel."). So the agreement I made with myself was that I could have hot cereal ONLY when I shoveled snow. I've "cheated" on my bargain with myself only a few times and only in the situation where I've been unwell and hot cereal was the only "hot smooshy" thing in the house. Otherwise, the only time I've had hot cereal in my almost 5 years of post-op living has been after shoveling snow.

I just think that's pretty funny - I mean, who makes a deal with themself to shovel freaking snow in order to get "rewarded" with... gruel? :P

Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Pure_Prairie
on 1/14/19 3:31 pm
VSG on 01/10/19

That is too funny for words!

I love "gruel" cream of wheat or oatmeal, we ate it almost every school day growing up. I had never had an Eggo or even a pop tart. When my kids were growing up my daughter would complain so now when I pop over to see my grandsons I always have to laugh as I see they are having oatmeal for breakfast.

I live in beautiful sunny Texas, IF we get snow it is usually February (ish) and might last a day. We lived in Alaska for 15 months but that was when I was wheelchair/crutch bound. My daughter then 17 was nuts about shoveling snow, so being awesome parents we let her do it...often!

I use behavior modification on myself too, I will do the kitchen...then I will go sew, or read. Fun stuff.

HW: 183 Pre-Op: 171 Post WLS Month 1: 149 Month 2: 141 Month 3: 133

Surgeon's goal: 128 My Goal: 118

AnnieG522
on 1/14/19 6:19 am
VSG on 10/05/17

Oh Gwen you are too funny! NC so seldom has snow that I guess I'd have to give up gruel forever.

QOTD: How do you feel about snow? Do you love it or hate it? Do you enjoy shoveling snow? I grew up in the Pacific NW and we have lots of snow there; I loved it - loved sledding, skating, snowforts....lived in the midwest outside Chicago with real blizzards, but the kids were little so still enjoyed it, although SAFETY had to be first when traveling. Now I live in NC - I'm 66 (husband is 71 and from upstate NY). We like snow about 2 hours, and not on the road. No one down here knows how to drive in it, and they are not prepared. And what do they do with the bread and milk? I don't eat that on the best of days.

I think the holidays have shoved me offsides on good eating; been back to more reasonable choices the past few days now that we are back home. Lunch today with my lady friends and they chose an Italian place. I'll do a menu review.

B: Protein shake

L: TBD - probably a salad with protein - I cannot justify stuffed manicotti :( even though I take the leftovers home

S: Chobani yogurt

D: Some kind of protein thing

Lots of water today, is my plan.

PS: Our little white fluffy dog (Bichon) LOVES snow and cold; the dachshund refuses to get off the porch.

D:

HW: 240 lbs CW: 205 lbs: SW: 199 lbs GW: 130 lbs
1 MO = 167.0 2 MO = 156.4 3 MO = 148.4 4 MO = 140.6
5 MO = 136.0 6 MO = 130.0 (GOAL) 20 MO = 133
"At the evening of our life, we shall be judged by our love."

Gwen M.
on 1/14/19 6:23 am
VSG on 03/13/14

Clearly my "gruel bargain" wouldn't work for everyone ;)

I also loved snow when I was a kid! But I was also more self-centered as a kid so didn't think about the impact it had on adults in the world. ;) Even now with most things in the county closed, I can't help but think about my self-employed friends who only get paid if the services they provide happen. So even if they're safe at home, they're out a paycheck. Snow just sucks.

I find that Italian can be challenging! I tend to go for a chicken dish like chicken piccata or marsala and skip the pasta side.

Kristi T.
on 1/14/19 9:25 am - MT
VSG on 02/09/16

Good morning! No new snow here, just extremely dark, gloomy and very cold. I have a lot of errands to run today to get ready for my job on Thursday. Flu shot, pick up security badge, printer ink and a iPhone cover. I am like your mom's BFF Gwen, not technologically savvy when it comes to phones. I just got a new iPhone, it's fun to learn but I feel a little behind. Thank goodness it is a lot like my tablet, I would have been really lost:-)

QOTD-As a young teen I loved the snow. I used to ski and sled every winter living in Washington State. After growing older and moving to Montana 20 years ago, I have changed my mind about it. Depending on my neighbor to plow me out of my driveway makes me nervous. A lot of my nervousness is around safety, car accidents and people falling. Our area economy depends on tourist dollars in the winter, so I know how necessary snow is...it's a double edged sword:-)

I love that you make a deal with yourself Gwen, I think it is healthy. The only way I allow myself to have my wonderful tea concoction in the afternoon is if I walk or hike a certain distance or time:-)

B-1/3 cup granola, coffee

L-Yogurt with cherries and pecans

S-Hot tea, jerky or string cheese

D-Chicken breast(baked from the deli) and green beans

E-Walk or hike with my dog

Have a safe Monday!

Liz WantsHealthForAll
on 1/14/19 9:40 am - Cape Cod, MA
VSG on 03/28/16

We had a decent weekend. We found a great local fish place to eat at with good prices. I also did some final painting in my kitchen (chalkboard backsplash). After I condition it in 3 days, I can start writing on it! And SIL arrived to stay for the next 2.5 months yesterday.

Today I think we are going to check out a walk on the harbor in the next town over which is apparently dog friendly.

QOTD: I love the look of snow and snow days (when they are truly days to keep warm, watch the snow and do nothing). But I hate shoveling it, driving in it, and walking on the often resulting ice (though walking when the snow is falling is pretty). Hence our current wintering in Florida!

2 Years 9.5 months post-op (maintaining below goal for 2 years, 1.5 months)

Always lots of coffee...

B: eggs, cottage cheese and Canadian bacon

L: tuna salad, pickles and cottage cheese

D: Burger, no bun

S: sweetened cottage cheese

Liz 5'3" HW: 219 SW: 185 GW: 125 LW: 113 Desired maintenance range: 120-123 CW: 120 (after losing 20 lb. regain)!

mmsmom
on 1/14/19 10:03 am - Woburn, MA

Good morning,

QOTD: I don't mind the snow so long as it's not too cold. Some winters we get alot - over 100 inches, and so far this winter, barely anything. I do like it for the first few days and then it starts to get dirty and is just a pain.

B: english muffin with baby bell

L: meatball (homemade) no sauce, cold with a few stacy's pita chips

D: nothing prepared so who knows.

E: walked around Target at lunch, does that count, lol - and will walk the dog later

VSG on 04/28/2014

Liz WantsHealthForAll
on 1/15/19 7:09 am - Cape Cod, MA
VSG on 03/28/16

Remember last years timing for snow up North!

Liz 5'3" HW: 219 SW: 185 GW: 125 LW: 113 Desired maintenance range: 120-123 CW: 120 (after losing 20 lb. regain)!

(deactivated member)
on 1/15/19 10:20 am

Snow is looks beautiful but is evil. I hate being cold, even the threat of cold.

I've had to complete revamp what I eat to reduce my food anxiety and stress. I'm still tracking, but I no longer try to have balanced meals. Counting and watching carbs, sugars, fats, and proteins was overwhelming.

Breakfast: 2oz chicken, 5 raspberries, 5 crispy cheese snacks

Lunch: Tonkotsu broth + 3oz rotisserie chicken

Dinner: 1.5oz carnitas, 1T guacamole, 1/4c refried beans

Most Active