My VSG/ Weight Loss Journey Experience So far

AshleyFaith
on 1/24/19 11:01 am
VSG on 11/27/18

I've been off this site for quite a while and now that life is returning to normalcy, I wanted to return and share my story.

I was scheduled for VSG on November 27, 2018. I did pre-op testing whi*****luded and EGD the day before and was told I had a small hiatal hernia which would be simple to repair with my surgery. My surgeon told me how confident he was that I would be successful and this put all my nerves at ease as this would be my first time going under the knife.

I had the surgery on 11/27 and woke up in my hospital room. The pain wasn't bad but I was very drowsy still from the anesthesia. I was told that the surgery was successful and anticipated discharge the following day. However, as soon as I began to drink anything, I would throw it up. I was given nausea medicine and told this was nothing unusual and to take my time. Well, that one night stay turned into 6 days and nights (of constant nausea/vomiting) before I was able to tolerate holding down liquids on my own. I went home and thought things were finally looking up.

After 4 days of being home, the nausea and vomiting returned and I went back to the hospital. I was told I was dehydrated and my surgery admitted me to perform another EGD to see what was causing my symptoms. After the EGD, I was told I had a stricture that formed in my sleeve that was not allowing anything to pass through. I don't know how common this is or if this has happened to anyone else because I knew no one who had went through this before. I was taken into surgery the next morning for a Sleeve Revision and was admitted another 5 days. I was holding down liquids, able to move around well, and had little to no pain. I was discharged home only to return the next week because of nausea and vomiting again.

This time was more severe than before. I would take a sip of water and it would come right back up. I even threw up on an empty stomach. I just knew something wasn't right and returned to the hospital. After a series of tests, I was told that my stomach was not emptying into my intestine. The opening to my small intestines was completely shut closed, not allowing anything to pass through. At this point, I was told my surgeon that my best option would be conversion to Gastric bypass which is what I did.

It has been a month since my last surgery and things I am finally feeling better. This experience took so much out of me, mentally and physically. I returned to work and the gym last week and still feel weak at times but I know my body still needs time to adjust to the reduced calorie intake. I've been cleared for a full diet and am doing well with it( besides most meats). I still drink a protein shake daily to meet my protein needs.

I just wanted to share my story because this site was so helpful to me before surgery to hear your stories and wanted to share mine.

Gwen M.
on 1/24/19 11:37 am
VSG on 03/13/14

I'm so sorry that you had such a rough start to your post-op life! I'm glad that things are finally returning to some semblance of normality for you.

Thank you for checking in.

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Chanelcamp26
on 1/24/19 3:17 pm
VSG on 07/24/18

Wow. You are so strong to go through all that! I'm so happy to hear you are doing alright now.

AnnieG522
on 1/25/19 6:35 am
VSG on 10/05/17

Thank you for sharing that even with all the troubles, you've come out on the other side.

May you continue to improve!

HW: 240 lbs CW: 205 lbs: SW: 199 lbs GW: 130 lbs
1 MO = 167.0 2 MO = 156.4 3 MO = 148.4 4 MO = 140.6
5 MO = 136.0 6 MO = 130.0 (GOAL) 20 MO = 133
"At the evening of our life, we shall be judged by our love."

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 41 views