Hello, new here.

Cherokeeprez
on 2/1/19 5:25 pm

I say new because this is my first post but I've been following these posts for a few months as research and preparation. I've already met with my surgeon and started the nutrition program as well as the psych eval. I have a nutrition appointment next week then one more at the beginning of March after that it's a waiting game on insurance to do their thing. So, surgery should be late March April. I'll be getting the vsg. I'm very excited for it to hurry up and get here. My highest weight is 294, currently 276 and can't drop below 271 or I get disqualified. Bummer.

Anyway...my husband decided to schedule a cruise, it will be about two months post surgery. Why he booked it for that soon I have no idea but it's happening. Anyone have any suggestions for handling this?

jenorama
on 2/2/19 12:00 am - CA
RNY on 10/07/13

Two months is early-ish for travel in my opinion, but cruises are pretty relaxed. Probably your main issue will be your energy level. After my RNY, it took me a good six weeks or so before I finally felt more like myself. It can take quite a while for anesthesia to completely leave your system after surgery, so don't push yourself too hard.

As for food, I would imagine that you'll be on regular food by the time the cruise rolls around. You'll be surrounded by temptation, so be prepared! The buffet will have a lot of meat choices--don't be surprised if you're satisfied with a few slices of deli meat and some cheese! I'd advise against being too adventurous food-wise. That ice cream, pie or cake may look delicious, but you are far from home and getting sick would be a bad time.

I would advise on embarkation day to go to the main dining room--they'll steer you to the buffet, but don't do it. It will be a madhouse. Usually the aft dining room is open for lunch on embarkation day. Go there and be served like a civilized person. While there, ask if you can talk to the maitre'd and talk to him about your limitations. My husband is allergic to milk, so he'll chat with the maitre'd and make arrangements to order dinner the day before, so the chefs can make any adjustments. He might be able to skip unnecessary carbs (potatoes, rice) on your plate and serve you a smaller portion so you don't get the "didn't you like it??" question.

When I traveled early out, I brought along protein powder and a shaker bottle to make a protein shake in the morning. Quest makes individual packets which is a bit handier than a giant jug of powder! Make sure you have your vitamins with you, take it easy and make the best choices you can and I think you'll be all right! You have to show us pictures when you get back!

Jen

Cherokeeprez
on 2/4/19 7:24 am

Thanks for the input. We don't plan on doing anything particularly strenuous on the trip. It's my husband's first real vacation in 20 years so we plan to relax, take it easy, and enjoy the ride.

Taking my own protein is a good idea.

Liz WantsHealthForAll
on 2/2/19 4:25 am - Cape Cod, MA
VSG on 03/28/16

I traveled to Aruba 2 months after my VSG. I was on regular foods and felt great, though eating very small portions. I had discussed it with my surgeon prior to surgery and we had agreed that though that was the earliest I should travel, it was safe to do so at that point.

Liz 5'3" HW: 219 SW: 185 GW: 125 LW: 113 Desired maintenance range: 120-123 CW: 120 (after losing 20 lb. regain)!

AnnieG522
on 2/2/19 4:59 am
VSG on 10/05/17

Welcome! Be vigilant on your pre op diet; take your vitamins prior and after; do the post op as instructed and you'll be able to figure it out. And always remember to eat s-l-o-w-l-y and not much. You can always eat more later if you feel like it!

HW: 240 lbs CW: 205 lbs: SW: 199 lbs GW: 130 lbs
1 MO = 167.0 2 MO = 156.4 3 MO = 148.4 4 MO = 140.6
5 MO = 136.0 6 MO = 130.0 (GOAL) 20 MO = 133
"At the evening of our life, we shall be judged by our love."

Kristi T.
on 2/2/19 9:55 am - MT
VSG on 02/09/16

Welcome and congratulations, 294 to 276 is wonderful! I went to Palm Springs for 10 days 2 months post op. My energy level was a little low, but the trip as a whole went really well. Hope you come back to OH and let us know how you are doing!

Kathy S.
on 2/4/19 11:31 am - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 50 views