Regain

Maritopia
on 3/4/19 9:35 am, edited 3/4/19 4:34 pm
VSG on 03/01/17

I finally lost it! WOOHOO. I maintained at 123-126 lbs for a few months after my initial weight loss, then rapidly shot up to 136 lbs and have spent most of the second post-op year trying to lose it again. This morning I weighed 122 lbs! I'll write up a 2 year surgiversary post in a little while with more details but for now I was too excited not to share!

PS: I've been active on OH for the last 2 years but recently had to open a new account (with a similar username).

nevermore71
on 3/4/19 3:25 pm
VSG on 01/08/18

Congrats. Terrific news and will be a ray of hope for others who have regained some of their lost weight. Looking forward to hearing how you did it.

Amy R.
on 3/9/19 5:43 am, edited 3/10/19 12:57 am

Mahonia, If this is you, congratulations. I hope you are well and healthy at the weight you are comfortable with. From here ( 2 years-ish) on out it will never be as easy as it has been these last months, so I'm glad you were able to beat that back.

If I've pegged the wrong OH member congratulations whoever you are. The same fate unfortunately awaits all post-ops eventually. No, not regain. But a definite realization that you cannot eat the same amount of caolories in years 2+ and further out. Eventually all of us must face the regain facts and incorporate them into the remainder of our postop life. Even if you are one of the fortunate few who do not actually regain pounds.

This is not two year out Amy insisting this would never happen to me. This is 10+ year out Amy who fought hard to lose three good size regains. One was 60 pounds.

The best news? My lowest weight previous to the last regain was 177 pounds. I'm 55 years old and woke up this morning at 148.4. Never say die.

Maritopia
on 3/9/19 7:57 am, edited 3/13/19 10:37 am
VSG on 03/01/17

Thank you Amy! I am sure I will face regain again, probably over and over again. Smaller people need fewer calories, older people need fewer calories, and people in general should all be eating fewer calories - so it is all stacked against us as we age. Eating less leads to longer healthier lives, so it's worth it. I regained by grazing on nuts, seeds, berries and cheese. It really doesn't take much to regain rapidly.

Height: 5'5" SW: 222 lbs CW: 122 lbs

Amy R.
on 3/9/19 8:43 am

Yes, unfortunately it will be a constant consideration. You've gotten a pretty major achievement under your belt right now though for sure. Hang on to that and go back to this victory when the time again comes where you feel hopeless or even just discouraged.

Good to see you.

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 56 views