This might be tmi (but i warned ya) my apologies!

memfis_stefie
on 3/18/19 9:40 am
VBG on 01/01/19

So I had my VS surgery on 3/5. All's been ok except I've prob had 3 bm's since the surgery and now my back is starting to hurt. I've drank miralax 3 straight days in a row but still nothing. I've also been off my pain meds for at least a week now so surely it can't be because of it. I'm not sure what to do. I knew that because I'm drinking liquids and not having any solid foods at this point that the bms wouldn't be the same but I still figured i'd have more than 3. I just need some advise if anyone has any.

joanne0658
on 3/18/19 10:09 am

an additional tmi but it worked for me . . .glycerine suppository . . .unclogs plumbing and allows the miralax to do it's magic (run this past your doc first please).

Age: 60 | Height: 5'3.5 | Surgery Date: 07/24/15 | Starting Weight: 292 | Surgery Weight: 267 | Goal Weight:150 | Current Weight: 149 | WL so far: 143 lbs

memfis_stefie
on 3/18/19 10:12 am
VBG on 01/01/19

Ok thank you!! I def will run it by him and try it. I just am like I know this can't be normal and while I have back pain it's normally not like this.

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 3/18/19 10:29 am
RNY on 08/05/19

At less than 2 weeks out, your body is still healing! I know that one of my incisions (by the bellybutton) was still sore for at least 3 weeks, and my surgeon recommended tylenol and a heating pad.

How much liquid are you drinking? If you're not drinking enough, you may be dehydrated, and that can cause all sorts of problems.

I would also suggest talking to your doctor about the dose of Miralax to be taking. You may need to take more, if after three days you haven't pooped.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Roselane
on 3/20/19 9:31 pm

Definitely contact your doctor. I let this go and ran into some major problems, the pain was excruciating and I was bleeding by the time things were resolved. My doctor had me take miralax twice a day for a while, but I was further out than you by then, so it is really important to contact your surgeon for guidance.

Good times, right?

Highest weight: 350, Surgery weight: 317

VSG: 1/9/19

No longer obese goal: 185, Healthy weight goal: 150

Weight loss per month: 1=22, 2=12, 3=9.5, 4=11.5, 5=8, 6=9

TheWombat
on 3/21/19 12:53 pm
VSG on 06/11/18

Do you actually feel constipated, or are you just concerned because you're pooping so infrequently? If you are constipated, realise that laxatives won't help much unless you're drinking plenty of water. My dietician said something once that helped motivate me, even though it's a bit graphic: Think of your colon as a flume ride -- you need lots of water to keep things moving.

As for the frequency of your BMs, I seem to recall that I only pooped once or twice a week while I was on the liquid phase after surgery.

bossmomma_x4
on 3/22/19 10:56 pm
VSG on 06/13/18

I agree, you should definitely let your doc know what's going on, especially, if the Miralax isn't working. Additionally, you could try suppositories or a fleet enema, if you're really desperate. And, as always, make sure you're drinking enough water. ?

Great info here ?

ShanaC
on 3/23/19 5:06 pm - Cleveland, OH

I ran into that problem of feeling constipated. What worked for me was Milk of Magnesia. I asked my medical team about it before using. It only took 1 full dose & I was cleaned out by the next morning. I felt so relieved. I hope soon, you can too.

Jan. 22, 2019 had RNY surgery. Please send positive thoughts and prayers my way. Thanks!

Height 5'10" / HW 330 / CW 295

Shrnkin Butterfly
on 3/24/19 6:40 am
RNY on 02/19/19

Hi. I was constipated. My surgeon prescribed Taro-Docusate which is a stool softener. 1 in the morning and one in the evening for the first 30 days and told me if I didn't have a bowel movement 3 days later to take 2 Senokot tablets at bed time, which is a natural laxative...and this has worked great. But also remember to drink as much water as you can. Good luck.

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 44 views