C Section pain vs VSG pain

axmxb546
on 3/27/19 8:50 am

Hello all,

So I am hoping to have my surgery this summer, they haven't scheduled it yet since I still have to loose about 15 lbs. I've been scrolling through some posts about pain and feeling bad. This is a major surgery, but I'm trying to prepare myself. I had to have 2 C Sections (for the record, not by choice. Second one was a medical emergency). Has anyone had a C Section AND a VSG? How did the pain compare. I remember how hard it was to go from lying to sitting...and sitting to lying lol. Is the VSG more pain, less pain, or about the same as a C? I'm hoping since the VSG is lap sites vs a baby is an open abdominal, the VSG won't be so bad. It took me the full 6 weeks for my C, really hoping not so long with the VSG.

Thanks!

Amanda

Knitter215
on 3/27/19 1:53 pm
VSG on 08/23/16

2 scheduled C-sections because my babies were huge and my pubic bone never hinged. (C sections 1999 and 2003). VSG in 2016.

VSG was so much easier. I really mean it. So, for my VSG I was admitted to the hospital on Tuesday at 5 am. Had surgery in the morning. Was in my room in the afternoon. Was up and walking before 4 pm. Every time they came in to check my vitals, I got up and walked 2 laps of my hospital floor. Getting rid of the gas was the worst part. Discharged on Wednesday by 1 p.m. Discharge instructions were full liquid diet (per my plan), walk as much as possible and limit lifting to 10 pounds until my post-surgical visit in 2 weeks. Cleared after the 2 weeks to do everything and anything.

I work from home 3 days a week, but I worked from home on Friday of surgery week, went to the supermarket on Saturday (made my husband and kids carry the bags), went to the office on MOnday and worked 3/4 of a day and by the time I had my 2 week post op visit, life was normal.

Seriously, I could cough or poop without worrying that everything inside me was going to come out.

Keep on losing!

Diana

HW 271.5 (April 2016) SW 246.9 (8/23/16) CW 158 (5/2/18)

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 3/27/19 2:53 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

No shame here if you had a C-section! If that's what it takes to get your kiddo out safely, then that's a totally valid way to birth your baby :)

I can't speak to a C-section scar, but I did have an episiotomy with my son. The VSG was definitely less painful! Plus I was much more liberal with the pain meds post-VSG because I wasn't worried about being on opiates with a tiny infant around!

The majority of VSG are laproscopic. I had five incisions for my surgery, and only one incision-- the larger one by my bellybutton, where they pulled out my remnant stomach-- were very sore for more than a day. You will have about 6 to 8" of staple line inside your body, which can be painful, but I think the worst of it passed very quickly for me. I slept through the worst of the pain for about four days, and after that, I was able to function much better. Others here on the boards seem to recover much more quickly.

Before you have surgery, I would suggest that you practice the "log roll" for getting out of bed. Hold a pillow to your abdomen, try to keep your torso completely straight, and try to roll out of bed so you land on your knees on the floor.

I know some people prefer to sleep in a recliner during the first few days after surgery, as it's easier to get in and out of. Maybe that would be an option?

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Flcowgirl19
on 3/27/19 4:32 pm
VSG on 03/20/19

I was sleeved on the 20th and I had a c-section 2.5 yrs ago. For me, I would say it was either slightly worse or pretty darn comparable. My physician did tell me that he was in there a little longer cleaning up scar tissue and that I may feel a little worse for the wear. I was discharged on Tylenol and so far I've survived.

axmxb546
on 3/27/19 4:52 pm

Thank you all for your honest responses! I'm always cautious about speaking of my c sections. I was horribly depressed after them (16 months apart) ,and well, the support groups on line weren't always supportive. People say some pretty horrible things bout women who have c sections.

Any who, I'm glad to hear most people thought it was easier. I'm so sorry for those that didn't. I do wonder if I will have trouble with scar tissue since the c sections were so close together. ?hopefully it won't be though.

I am very glad to hear that there was no fear with pooping! That was TERRIFYING, after my kids.

AnnieG522
on 3/29/19 4:31 am
VSG on 10/05/17

Four C/sec -- thiswas a "nothing" surgery. :)

HW: 240 lbs CW: 205 lbs: SW: 199 lbs GW: 130 lbs
1 MO = 167.0 2 MO = 156.4 3 MO = 148.4 4 MO = 140.6
5 MO = 136.0 6 MO = 130.0 (GOAL) 20 MO = 133
"At the evening of our life, we shall be judged by our love."

Valerie G.
on 3/31/19 9:36 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

My DS was open, so I found the pain to be similar at first, but I swear it went away faster.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

featherbird007
on 4/4/19 12:13 pm
VSG on 03/27/19

I had 2 c-sections, both horizontal (no emergency cuts down the middle). 2008 and 20011 (twins). I've had a great recovery with my sleeve (3/27/19). There is NO comparing for me. VSG was a cake walk. I went back to my desk job 6 days after surgery.

C-section had that internal pain and no muscles to use. VSG (I had a hiatal hernia too repaired) has pain on the outside, mainly.... the incisions.

If you recovered from C-Sections, you got this!! So much easier and recovery, while I'm still in it, is easy to that of c-sections.

axmxb546
on 4/10/19 7:41 am

This great to hear. I did have to horizontal cuts even though the second was technically an emergency. I just had two surgeons in at the same time. I have a desk job during the week, so I am hopeful I return very quickly. I am expecting since I do a lot of tugging and lifting on patients during the weekends, I may have to take a little longer off from that job.

Thank you everyone who has replied. I am hopeful that my experience is easy like most everyone else's. I'll just plan for the worst and hope for the best

Most Active