5 weeks post-op eating worries

Big-Damo
on 4/7/19 6:55 pm
VSG on 03/07/19

Hello everyone, I'm new to the site and was hoping I could get some advice/guidance from you kind folk.

I have spent a little bit of time trawling the site but have not come across any posts that are similar, so please forgive me if I'm going over old ground.

5 weeks ago I went under the knife (in U.K.) and had Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy.

Now albeit I'm 5 weeks down the road I am struggling to take in the amount of food/fluids I've been asked to by my bariatric team.

At present I can just about manage around 5 teaspoons of yoghurt for breakfast (7am) and just about another 5 teaspoons of yoghurt/soup for dinner (around 6pm). In between all this I am only able to consume just over a litre (max) of fluids throughout the day.

Comparing this to what my bariatric team are asking of me, 4 meals a day plus 2 snacks and at least 2 litres of fluids. I really feel I am struggling. I have absolutely zero energy, i guess not surprising when the pot of yoghurt only contains 81 calories.
Throughout the day I get the feeling that deep down I want to throw up all the time. Similar to the foamies but not, if that makes any sense. Feeling like the esophagus to the stomach has filled up.

I work as an Aircraft Engineer, my job is quite physical and does require a lot of attention and energy which I simply have not got. I honestly feel faint after standing for 10 minutes and have to go and sit down.

I've watched hundreds of YouTube videos to get recipie ideas to try and boost my food intake/energy levels and quite frankly, I am in awe of the portion sizes I see people eating as there is no way in hell I can get anywhere near those portion sizes. Now i know everyone is different but i am just getting a little concerned that being 5 weeks out i just cannot eat anything with any sustenance.

Have any of you had a similar experience or can offer any advice on things to do/try???

I thank you for taking the time to read this and appreciate any advice/guidance that you may be able to offer.

Many thanks in advance,
Damian

TheWombat
on 4/8/19 12:48 am
VSG on 06/11/18

Good to see someone else from Europe on here! (I'm in Ireland, and that's where I had my VSG.)

I am concerned that you can only drink one litre per day at 5 weeks out; that's not enough, especially with a physical job. Try experimenting with temperature. Some people find it easier to drink cold water, some find it easier to drink warm water or even hot (e.g. tea). I find that a dash of lemon or sugar-free cordial in the water makes it feel less "bulky" and easier to drink. I recommend you contact your surgeon and dietician about this today.

At 5 weeks out, I was able to eat a bit more than you describe. probably ate about 400 calories per day at that point. Spreading the meals throughout the day may help. Are you drinking any protein drinks? I found them very filling; a few sips and I was done. You might want to try Fulfill protein bars instead. You can find them in most convenience stores. They are high in protein and low in carbs. They aren't very filling, so you may find them easier on your stomach. (Because they aren't very filling, they aren't the best choice for your diet in the long run, but for right now they may be just the ticket.)

You were probably advised not to drink anything for 15 or 30 minutes after eating. That's good advice in the long run because it keeps your stomach from emptying too quickly, but getting enough fluid is more important right now. As soon as you feel like you can drink something, start sipping again.

The feeling of tiredness is quite normal. I have a desk job, and I was advised to take a month off work. If your job is physical, you may simply need more time to recover. Tell your medical team if you need more time off, or you need restricted duties. Even when I thought I was back to full strength, I had trouble standing for any length of time. You will feel stronger once you get all of the fluids you need.

TheWombat
on 4/8/19 3:01 am
VSG on 06/11/18

When you say you can only drink a litre (max) of fluids, what exactly is the problem? If it's simply that you feel full after a few sips, you may be able to work around that by drinking more often. Try setting a timer to go off every 5 minutes to remind you to take a few more sips. A lot of had to use a timer to get enough fluid in!

Another thought occurred to me. A lot of people develop lactose intolerance after WLS (it might or might not go away later). I myself was mildly lactose intolerant before WLS, but it got worse afterward. You might try avoiding dairy for a day or two to see if things improve.

Valerie G.
on 4/15/19 8:18 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

Here is the fun, vicious circle you're in the middle of.

Dehydration symptoms are nausea and fatigue, which makes you NOT want to eat or drink, which leads to more fatigue and nausea. Next thing you know it, you're in the ER with an IV for hydration. Let it go long enough and you get an added bonus at no extra charge - kidney stones.

Now you're starting to feel like feeding and hydrating yourself is a full-time job, and YES it is! I eat more than I ever did before my surgery (13 years out) and can conquer 64oz before lunchtime, and I start my next round.

You need to be carrying a beverage with you at all times. Try different flavors and even different temperatures, to see what is most agreeable. I found my best results with childhood favorites (and I have no idea how I even thought of them). For me, the answer was green Koolaid and Hawaiian Punch of all things. I did them with alternative sweeteners and I found I could drink SO much more. Today it's iced tea for my beverage of choice. Just take a sip before you do anything and again right after you do it. Make drinking games to keep yourself mindful to take another sip.

For food, keep snacks at your desk and in your pocket. A little block of cheese fits nicely. Set an alarm on your phone to remind you to eat (and take vitamins). Even if you are released for all foods, stick to the softer foods at first for a while. Choose the tenderest meats. Think crock pot and rotisserie chicken kinds of tenderness. Chicken breast and even hamburger can be downright painful at first. Even today, dairy is a huge contributor to my protein goals. I eat cheese constantly.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Most Active