what to eat after you 6 week "diet"

Steffyren
on 4/23/19 1:17 pm - New Milford, NJ
VSG on 03/20/19

Hi all....next Wednesday marks 6 weeks and I can start to eat my new norm but my question is....what is the new norm. I have appt with the nutritionist to review but wanted to know what happen to all of you.

I want to know when I can get back to a "normal" routine. Its a bit frustrating not to eat with my family (as they don't want me to be hurt at what they are eating, even if something I could have in a week).

Thoughts????

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 4/23/19 2:56 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

When you say "new norm," does that mean your doctor has cleared you for all foods? Or are you still on a restricted diet? Some surgeons do a slower progression than others, so some folks may be on "soft foods" at 6 weeks out. If in doubt, check with your surgeon.

Check out the daily menu threads, both here and on the RNY board. (RNY'ers eat pretty much the same thing that we do.) People post what they eat each day and it's a good way to see "normal" for other folks.

More or less, you'll want to shoot for 600 - 800 calories, 60+ g protein, under 25g carbs. That means lean, dense protein and maybe a bite or two of veg at each meal. Your protein sources should ideally be 10g protein per 100 calories.

Examples:

• Meats cooked in a moist fashion or with some sort of sauce-- dark meat chicken, pork, ground beef, and white fish are all good choices
  • Eggs, though some folks have trouble with them at first
  • Greek yogurt
  • String cheese

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Steffyren
on 4/24/19 11:08 am - New Milford, NJ
VSG on 03/20/19

Im on that now for the final 2 weeks and starting week 6 I am allowed to start adding food. (no salads or stuff like that for 8weeks). What Im wondering is what is something easy to add. Im so nervous to do something and get sick.

Maritopia
on 4/23/19 5:03 pm
VSG on 03/01/17

While losing weight, the "normal diet" is essentially a "protein sparing modified fast (psmf)" Search google for PSMF and you will find lots of recipes, cookbooks, and personal experiences. Most successful people log their food in myfitnesspal or similar while losing weight and stick with 600-1000 calories and 80+g of protein per day. You will lose fastest with keeping carbs under 20g and fat under 30g. Ideally, transitioning to maintenance just means adding more fat. A good rule while losing is to mostly eat foods that have at least 10g of protein per 100 calories.

You will never be able to eat everything the rest of the family eats if you want to lose weight and keep it off. Typically, I eat the protein and veggie portion of what I feed my family and skip the carbs.

It's hard, but once you get into a routine it becomes your new normal.

Height: 5'5" SW: 222 lbs CW: 122 lbs

Grim_Traveller
on 4/24/19 3:43 am
RNY on 08/21/12

Whoa, tap the brakes. You are 6 weeks out from surgery. You aren't remotely close to the new norm yet.

You may be cleared to eat all foods, they will not all sit well with you yet. Some will not go down well, some will sit like a brick. It takes several months before you can eat fairly normally. This was major gastric surgery, not a broken leg.

I'm not trying to discourage you. After a while, no one will notice you had surgery. But reintroduce foods slowly. Add one new food at a time, in very small amounts. If it goes down well, great. If it doesn't, wait a few weeks before trying again.

Things won't seem to make sense. Eggs seem very soft, but a lot of folks can't tolerate them for six months or so. Others eat them just fine. Hamburger seems good because it's ground beef, but steak is easier at an early stage than ground beef.

And the best advice is, try everything new at home first, not in public or at work. If something doesnt go down well, its best if it happens at home.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Steffyren
on 4/24/19 11:11 am - New Milford, NJ
VSG on 03/20/19

this is exactly what I wanted to hear. Im so confused on things. And foods one day are ok and could have the same thing 2 days later and its not. Ground Beef seems okay. soft cheese is going good. I had small piece of flaky fish on Sat and was amazing. I worried about trying salads with mayo (tuna, egg, shrimp). Also shrimp in general. This was my favorite food but worried how I will react. thank you for the info. You all are great to lean on.

Grim_Traveller
on 4/24/19 11:33 am
RNY on 08/21/12

It's really common to have what some call big pouch and little pouch days. Even after almost 7 years, I can eat a certain amount at one meal, and have the same exact thing a couple of days later, and only eat half as much. There never seems to be a rhyme or reason. It's our new normal.

Most of us have little bumps in the road in those first montgg. It's one of the reasons that chewing thoroughly and eating slowly is so important. At your stage, it's amazing that one extra little bite can make you feel like crap.

It all works out fine. It's just the process.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

mmsmom
on 4/24/19 4:49 am - Woburn, MA

What Grim said :D

VSG on 04/28/2014

Knitter215
on 4/24/19 7:26 am
VSG on 08/23/16

Agree with Grim, but once you find what's working for you, set a routine that you can stick to. I work in an office with no fridge or microwave two days a week and from home the rest of the week. (I also work out like a maniac, so I probably eat more than most but its to avoid losing muscle). For me, for the last 2.5 years, it has been:

Breakfast - black coffee. Office day - Protein Shake - 1 scoop protein powder, 1 cup Fairlife Skim, 1 handful frozen tropical fruit. Toss on blender and drink in car on way to work. Non-office days - Icelandic Skyr greek yogurt with 2 T Granola Factory Quinoa Almond Cherry granola

Lunch - Almost every day - 4 ounces of protein (chicken, left over meat from dinner the night before, etc.) and 2 cups of mixed greens with 1 tablespoon of some type of salad dressing

Afternoon snack - 2 ounces of cheese (cheddar or Monterrey jack)

Late afternoon/pre-workout snack (generally my workouts are at either 6 or 7 pm so I don't eat dinner until late) - Protein shake of some kind (fave - iced coffee with scoop of caramel protein powder and sugar free chocolate syrup in a blender with ice)

Dinner - 4-6 ounces of protein, 1 small serving green veg, 1 small carb

Because of the workouts I do - I watch macros - so I eat about 110 grams of protein daily and about 100g carbs daily. My carbs are way higher now than they were during active weight loss because if I don't eat enough carbs, my body starts using muscle for fuel, which is not good. I drink at least 64 and often 128 ounces of water daily.

I find that having a routine has been helpful for me sticking to my program.

Keep on losing!

Diana

HW 271.5 (April 2016) SW 246.9 (8/23/16) CW 158 (5/2/18)

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 4/24/19 10:09 am
RNY on 08/05/19

To the OP-- for someone early on, in the weight loss phase, I would strongly advise against fruit smoothies, granola, and "small carbs" as Knitter currently eats :)

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Most Active