Feeling horrible

KayVee91
on 5/1/19 6:15 am, edited 5/1/19 2:28 pm

Hi, I'm 11 weeks post opp and so far I am hating myself for getting this done. I literally cry myself to sleep every night. I've felt sick from the moment I woke up from my surgery. I even had my Gallbladder removed which didn't help. Every morning I wake up feeling so nauseas. I usually throw up first thing without even eating. My throat is always so sore after waking up, I'm guessing from the reflux. I take nexium and zantac every day once in the morning and once at night but it doesn't seem to work. My throat constantly gurgles whether I've eaten or not. Speaking of eating I just can't do it. Drinking water is no problem in the afternoon (Don't even ask me to get anything down in the mornings) and I can easily drink a litre in a day but food is a completely different story. I can barely eat. I don't eat in the morning and I can take MAYBE a bite at lunch, if that. It doesn't matter what I've tried soup, meat, protein shakes, eggs, anything and everything makes me feel sick. I just don't know what to do any more. I hate myself for doing this and I don't care about the weight loss. I would rather be fat. My surgeon doesn't seem to care, he just keeps telling me that everything in my stomach looks fine and is healed so he doesn't know what to do. I need help. Every other forum or support group I've talked to, no-one has experienced what I'm going through. Please.

ladygodiva1228
on 5/1/19 6:55 am - Putnam, CT
Revision on 02/04/15

To me it sounds like you have a couple of things going on. I think you have excessive acid and are dehydrated. Dehydration makes people feel nauseas and not want to eat or drink. Have you tried flavored water and different temperatures?

How about some sugar free jello or pudding? Check out https://theworldaccordingtoeggface.blogspot.com/ Shelly has some amazing post WLS recipes.

Before surgery did you have any issues with GERD/reflux/heartburn?

Has your surgeon performed an endoscopy to see what is going on in your throat?

Dr. Sanchez Lapband 9/12/2003
hw305/revision w280/cw197/gw150

Revision from Lap Band to Bypass on 2/4/2015 by Dr. Pohl

KayVee91
on 5/1/19 2:46 pm

I'm drinking a litre of water a day minimum though so how could I be dehydrated?

And I did have a bit of trouble with reflux before but it was always eating to close to bed and meds always sorted it out. This has made it so much worse though.

My surgeon has done an endoscopy twice. It just seems like his answer when I tell him about my issues ' well I'll do another gastroscopy' he says everything looks fine.

ladygodiva1228
on 5/2/19 1:36 am - Putnam, CT
Revision on 02/04/15

Well a liter of water is only 33oz and most folks that have WLS drink closer to 100oz of water a day. I know if I drink less I start to feel crappy. It is very easy to get dehydrated after WLS.

I'm going to be honest with you. If you were having any type of trouble with reflux before the surgery you shouldn't of had the sleeve. Not that the sleeve isn't a good surgery, but I have seen over the years folks who had issues with reflux before getting the sleeve end up having to revise to the RNY to get relief because medication is not helping.

I would get a second opinion like others have suggested.

Dr. Sanchez Lapband 9/12/2003
hw305/revision w280/cw197/gw150

Revision from Lap Band to Bypass on 2/4/2015 by Dr. Pohl

dreamer1234
on 5/7/19 4:55 pm

i totally agree with you about getting a second opinion. when i told my surgeon at the initial consult that i had problems with reflux he said the RNY would help this and this is what i had. since then i have had no problems with reflux at all.

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 5/1/19 8:27 am
RNY on 08/05/19

If your current doctor isn't listening, you need a second opinion. Are there any other bariatric surgeons in your area that you could schedule an appointment? If not, a gastroenterologist may be able to help as well.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Kristi T.
on 5/1/19 9:22 am - MT
VSG on 02/09/16

This is definitely not normal for 11 weeks out. I agree with Sparklekitty, I think a second opinion is a must. Please don't wait on this and let us know how you are doing!

Roselane
on 5/1/19 12:08 pm

I am just a few weeks further out than you, so please don't consider me an expert on anything. I agree with others that this is not normal and you need a second opinion. Just based on what I learned in my classes, I wonder if it might be helpful to go back to full liquids phase for a few days just to try and get hydrated, see if you can get some protein in, and maybe gain some strength. Could you ask your program about this idea?

Highest weight: 350, Surgery weight: 317

VSG: 1/9/19

No longer obese goal: 185, Healthy weight goal: 150

Weight loss per month: 1=22, 2=12, 3=9.5, 4=11.5, 5=8, 6=9

Steffyren
on 5/1/19 12:16 pm - New Milford, NJ
VSG on 03/20/19

I would definitely see either another dr or see the nurse practitioner. I am post op 6 weeks and yes there are still times I feel like crap but then there are times I feel great. heartburn is my middle name but always has been so I cant blame the surgery. You need to get past this. This will eventually be the best thing you can do.

my first 2 weeks I could stand even water. You need to find something, anything that works for you. You might need to get hydrated by an iv just to get you back to "normal"

Kathy S.
on 5/1/19 2:07 pm - Lexington, KY
VSG on 02/15/19
I too am 11 weeks post-op, and what you're going through is not normal.

There are several great suggestions in the posts above--seeing a gastroenterologist, going back to all liquids like in stage 1, seeing a new bariatric surgeon, getting IV fluids, etc.

It sounds as if you're dealing with excessive stomach acid and reflux, so you need help for both of those situations. But you also must get more fluids to keep your body systems regulated. You can die from dehydration, so you have to find a way to get more fluids.

I can't eat or drink after about 7:00 p.m. without feeling nauseated, but that works for me. My morning dose of prilosec takes care of me otherwise. Use a baby spoon (I use a Baskin Robbins spoon -- LOL), and take TINY bites of soft foods, chewing each one to mush before swallowing it. Hopefully, if you can get hydrated, you'll be able to start getting soft foods down.

I'm so sorry you're struggling with your sleeve!

Here is the test to find whether your mission on earth is finished.
If you're alive, it isn't. -- Richard Bach

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 49 views