Tell me it gets better

MotivatedToFit
on 5/15/19 8:55 am

I am currently two days post op. After my surgery I could not stomach anything and was extremely nauseous after sipping some water I would throw up. Today is a little better I am back home but I feel like the water sits heavy in my new tiny tummy. I start full liquids tomorrow but I'm afraid some of things allowed will make me throw up. I hate broth and jello both make me extremely nauseous

Mary Gee
on 5/15/19 9:37 am - AZ
VSG on 05/14/14

It gets better. Definitely.

Sip the water. And sip some more. Stay hydrated. Every day gets a bit better!

HW: 380 SW: 324 GW: 175  

TheWombat
on 5/15/19 10:34 am
VSG on 06/11/18

It definitely gets better. Chances are you'll feel a lot better tomorrow or the day after. A common cause of nausea is surgery/anesthesia, and that will be gone from your system quickly. Another common cause is dehydration, so make sure to drink the 2 liters of fluid per day that you're supposed to. Experiment with temperature; some people find cold liquids easier to handle, others prefer warm or hot liquids.

I have a few other suggestions, but if they contradict the advice from your medical team, disregard my suggestions and follow their instructions. If you're feeling nauseated, I'd hold off on food and stick to water. Protein drinks can be hard on your new stomach, so I'd hold off on them for a bit too. Right now, getting enough fluid is critical; everything else (like getting enough calories or protein) can wait a while. I'd also avoid dairy for a bit just to be on the safe side, because lactose intolerance can occasionally occur or worsen after surgery.

jdekost81
on 5/15/19 10:37 am
VSG on 04/05/19

Yes it gets way better! I'll be six weeks out Friday and I feel amazing. Just keep sipping your water!

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 5/15/19 11:31 am
RNY on 08/05/19

Have you tried different temperatures of water? I had trouble with really cold water at first, but room-temperature and warm sat much better.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

MotivatedToFit
on 5/15/19 12:23 pm

I should try experimenting with temperature. Right now I am only drinking at room temp instructions given by nurse at hospital but I find it sits heavy and gives me some reflux.

glowupinsideout
on 5/16/19 11:25 am
VSG on 05/06/19

It gets MUCH better, and quickly! I'm only on day 10. The first week was miserable and I was regretting my surgery big time. Every sip of fluids hurt so much and I thought I'd never feel like myself again. Day 7 was the beginning if the turning point for me, and now I'm feeling almost back to normal. Just be kind to yourself. I found really hot and really cold liquids was best for me at first.

MotivatedToFit
on 5/17/19 9:10 am

I absolutely feel the same right now! I am on full liquids now and looking forward to being able to eat a healthy meal in another week. I am starting to feel like myself again plus I have already lost 12 pounds in just 4 days! I experimented with temperature cold or hot works better for my sleeve than warm liquid.

Frank_M
on 5/16/19 6:32 pm
VSG on 05/14/19 with

I am 2 days post-op as well. I've been taking medicine for the reflux which helps tremendously. Are you allowed to mix crystal lite or something into your water? Or perhaps a vitamin water? I found ice chips to cause heartburn at first but now with the meds I feel much better.

MotivatedToFit
on 5/17/19 9:14 am

Yes I am allowed to do that but I can't stand the chemical aftertaste of crystal light or Vitaminwater, Gatorade, Powerade zero. I also started making my own protein drinks because I could not take that chemical aftertaste from premier or unjury protein. I am tolerating water a lot better now and finding I can get in more sips without any problems as the days progress. I hate the SF stuff because of the aftertaste it gives and it is like I taste it more like my taste buds have completely changed.

Most Active