Looking for support

Missamyjo1978
on 6/9/19 11:49 am - Butler, Ky

I was on Obesity Help back in 2006 when having lap band surgery and it was such a big support. Flash forward to today, band gone, weight is back. Many complications and had it removed after it broke in 2 and migrated. Now I am researching the sleeve. My only true fear is surgical complications such as a leak. I know that if that happens that my life is in true danger with a chance to be hospitalized for long time. I'd like to hear from those that have had the sleeve that had complications and how did you overcome that? What lead to your complications, such as other health issues, etc? Weighing out the risk vs benefit at this time. Thanks all!

jmk187
on 6/9/19 10:37 pm
VSG on 02/13/19

Hello. I had the sleeve done in February and I did not have any complications. I don't know if you will get many people from this site that have. There is a Surgery Complications thread though..But When I was in the Pre-Op stages There was not many people posting there..I suppose it's a good thing though?

I did a lot of research on my own though before surgery. I looked up youtube videos of people who did have complications..With WLS in general..Not just the sleeve. As heartbreaking as it was Even when I came across a video of a person that had died..I still made the decision to get surgery. I think no matter what surgery you have there is a risk of complications...Even Death. I know at my Pre-surgical appointment I had to sign and initial about 30 papers that all said I knew the risks of having the surgery(including the death).

Also I needed about 6 visits at my weight loss surgery program spaced 1 month apart for nutrition and blood work and physicals..and it seemed like every visit there was at least one person that really looked to be in bad shape and they had the surgery months prior..I did not outright ask them what was wrong but i could eavesdrop and hear they were having complications...It scared the crap out of me! Yet I still went through with the surgery because I felt like I had tried everything else. My diabetes was getting really bad and i had been a yoyo dieter for the last 15+ years.

Post weight loss surgery..4 months out..My diabetes is cured through diet my endocrinologist tells me..I have lost 79lbs in 8 months..54 of those 79lbs has been since my surgery 4 months ago. No complications that i know of. Could I have some in the future? Yes. But i knew all the risks of complications and I still made the choice to get the surgery.

Good Luck whatever you choose.

HW-430

SW-372

Day of Surgery-347

CW-246

catwoman7
on 6/10/19 5:32 am
RNY on 06/03/15

try to Revisions forum - it's a lot more active than "Surgical Complications" so you'll likely get more responses. Plus they'll be people that have actually had this type of revision, so it'll be more relevant to your situation

stacyrg
on 6/11/19 12:08 pm
VSG on 05/12/14

I don't know that you'll get much of a response, since I think surgical complications are rare. Which is a good thing! Most people with complications tend to have strictures (is that a VSG or an RNY thing?? I forget) which are easily addressed, or post-surgical GERD, which is not so easily addressed. I agree with other though, that you may get more of a response on the revision board. Good luck!!!!

AnnieG522
on 6/13/19 6:48 am
VSG on 10/05/17

I had a complication, right after surgery, and went back in for a second surgery and had two units of blood. I was still able to go home as planned, and no pain medication beyond acetaminophen needed.

Almost two years out and blood chemistry has been stable, energy level great, health issues resolved. I am having one issue, not related to sleeve, and a med which I am going to go off because it resulted in regain of a few pounds in a very short time.

But its incredibly safe in my opinion

HW: 240 lbs CW: 205 lbs: SW: 199 lbs GW: 130 lbs
1 MO = 167.0 2 MO = 156.4 3 MO = 148.4 4 MO = 140.6
5 MO = 136.0 6 MO = 130.0 (GOAL) 20 MO = 133
"At the evening of our life, we shall be judged by our love."

(deactivated member)
on 6/18/19 11:07 pm - Overland Park, KS
VSG on 09/18/17

Please talk with a bariatric surgeon about this. It's important to get an expert perspective. Having said that, I can tell you that if you go to a reputable bariatric surgeon, they will always check you for leaks before you take in any fluids after your surgery. If a leak is found, it's right back to the OR to fix it. This would not extend a hospital stay significantly. Also, leaks are rare. They will also educate you for what to look for in the extremely rare event that you would develop one after returning home; however, from what I understand, most leaks that develop after a patient returns home are the result of being non-compliant with the post-op diet and not giving the new "pouch" time to heal and grow scar tissue on the staple line.

If your health insurance doesn't cover the surgery and you are self-pay, it will also not pay for any complications related to the surgery. If you have a good surgeon who advocates for their patients, they will require you to purchase insurance that will cover you in the event that anything goes wrong. You should definitely look into this if you are a self-pay patient. It is expensive, but it is 100% worth the peace of mind.

I don't know what your personal cir****tances are other than perhaps quite a bit of fear related to your complications from the band, but the risk:benefit analysis should include the very real possibility of complications from the obesity itself that include osteoarthritis, chronic and often painful skin conditions, heart disease, diabetes and death. I think there are lots of ways to talk yourself out of doing this, but sometimes, it's better to focus on your long-term goals and the best way to reach them. There are a lot of people who are at the "considering" stage who could really benefit from some time talking with a therapist to help sort things out and this might be helpful for you based on your past experiences.

Also, if it helps, when I first went to my surgeon, I was actually considering the lap band. She told me at the time that she does not put them in, just takes them out and she takes lots of them out due to complications. She said that in her opinion, the complication rate for lap bands is near 100%; it just takes more time for some people than for others to develop complications. The reason I'm including this here is so you know that you're not alone and the fact that you experienced lap band complications was typical. The "typical" experience for someone with a VSG is no complications. But again, I would highly recommend having a consultation with a bariatric surgeon to talk it over and discuss your concerns.

Most Active