Any tips for dealing with stomach bug post VSG?

TheWombat
on 6/22/19 5:48 pm
VSG on 06/11/18

Today has not been a great day. Vomiting, diarrhea, headache, dizziness, fever & chills, aching. Fortunately I'm doing better this evening, so it may be just a 24-hour thing. However, this is the first time I've been ill post-vsg, and I could use some practical advice.

Pre-VSG, when I had vomiting or diarrhea, I would wait to drink anything until I was confident it would stay down. However, now I have to be more concerned about dehydration, even early on. And by midday I thought perhaps dehydration was contributing to my symptoms. So I tried to drink fluids too early, and probably made my symptoms worse.

Do you have a rule of thumb for when you try to first drink water? Do you wait for a certain period of time after vomiting or diarrhea before you risk it? I realise I will probably need to learn this for myself, but your rule of thumb could give me a starting point.

What drinks do you find easiest to tolerate when you have a stomach bug? I'm guessing water (electrolyte solutions can probably wait until the worst of the symptoms pass), but cold water? Ho****er? A particular type of herbal tea?

jmk187
on 6/23/19 1:30 am
VSG on 02/13/19

I was always told to push the fluids when I am sick. So that is what I always do. If i have diarrhea or if i vomit I don't wait to drink if I am home. I might drink a zero calorie sports drink like gatoraid or Poweraid. I figure the electrolytes are beneficial. Naturally if I am nauseous I will probably not drink fluids too fast..and sip them until I feel I can drink them without vomiting. But if i only have diarrhea, I really try to push fluids because it's really easy to get dehydrated. Most people think drinking water when they have a D attack will cause more Diarrhea but this isn't the case. And drinking a zero calorie sports drink will help replenish the loss of electrolytes diarrhea causes.

HW-430

SW-372

Day of Surgery-347

CW-246

H.A.L.A B.
on 6/23/19 9:57 am

The best for me, if I remember when I get really sick, are activated charcoal capsules. They are non toxic, they bind with toxins and viruses or bacteria, and help heal the insides. They neutralize the acids, so even if I am still throwing up, it doesn't burn.

They are very good for any runs, any gas, et****ep the handy at home and at work. I bring them on trips with me.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Most Active