New Here...

FLYBABY20
on 8/13/19 4:46 pm

I've been thinking about weight loss surgery since 2008. I'm just fed up with the up and down roller coaster so i was thinking of moving forward with the Sleeve.

Does anyone e know what insurance will cover it? I have Ambetter and they do not cover it. Help?

Suggestions?

F.L.Y.

tracyringo
on 8/14/19 5:05 pm
VSG on 08/09/17

I thought pretty much all insurance covered if you had the comorbidity and a BMI of 35+. Aetna, Blue cross blue shield, and humana to name a few.

Grim_Traveller
on 8/15/19 3:40 am, edited 8/14/19 8:41 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

All insurance COMPANIES cover weight loss surgery. But most insurance PLANS do not.

It's like car insurance. You can buy an inexpensive policy that covers the fewest things, with the lowest limits. If you want to spend more, you can buy extras, like collision, glass replacement, towing, rental car, etc. So you can get lower coverage for lower money, or more money for more coverage.

Health insurance is pretty much the same. Employers want to save money, so they don't choose to buy the "extras," such as weight loss surgery. It's an expensive add on.

I'm sorry, but your question is impossible for us to answer. Someone can say "I have Blue Cross, and it was covered." But the Blue Cross plan you end up with could exclude WLS.

You could shop for a plan and buy it yourself that you know covers it. But not many of us could afford that. Frankly, for what six months of insurance would cost, you could go to Mexico and pay for the whole surgery out of pocket.

I wish I could be more helpful. Good luck.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Most Active