Bypass surgery?

H.A.L.A B.
on 10/21/19 5:06 am

First time I considered the RNY I opted out. "I wasn't big or sick enough". And since eventually I got there....I didn't benefit as much from my WLS as I could if I had it 7-8 years earlier.

I lost 110 lbs, and maintained most of the loss for 11 years. Right now I am down to my lowest weight. But - some damage done to my body I could have avoid, can't be repaired. (Joints damage). So now I still have some joints pain, and some other issues that I think I would be in much better situation health wise.

But - having WLS and not doing the work, specially long term, not being dedicated to the process and proper eating for the rest of your life - could cause worse condition that just remaining obese.

Long term - like past year 3 and on...that's when the real hard work begins.if you are not ready for that, don't do it

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

marysherba
on 10/21/19 5:43 am
RNY on 12/27/19

Very good advice! Thank you!

TheWombat
on 10/21/19 5:19 am
VSG on 06/11/18

One important thing to realise is that you've done the research, and they haven't. Probably when you first started looking into the surgery, you were a bit skeptical. Maybe you'd heard a few horror stories on the news. Your relatives and friends are still at that point.

Then you kept reading about the surgery, and looking for more sources, both for and against. Eventually you learned that it's a safe surgery, as long as the surgeon is experienced in this type of surgery. Any decision you make at this point is based on more knowledge than your relatives and friends have.

Once your family sees you make it through the surgery and begin to lose weight and get healthier, their views will change.

marysherba
on 10/21/19 5:40 am
RNY on 12/27/19

Very good advice! Thank you!

catwoman7
on 10/21/19 8:53 am
RNY on 06/03/15

with a BMI of 38.5 with co-morbidities, you are big enough. Plus, I have been talking to pre-op groups every month for the last three or so years. I would guess most of the people (or women, anyway) in those classes are in the 200-250 lb range. Out of a group of 25 or so, there are usually around four or five whom I'd guess to be in the 300s. Everyone else appears smaller. I think most people's perceptions of weight loss surgery patients come from "My 600 lb Life". I've worked with a lot of pre-op groups, and I've never personally seen a WLS patient anywhere near that large.

as for complications, they aren't all that common and most are minor. I had two strictures within the first three months post-op. Strictures happen to about 5% of RNY patients, according to the PA at my surgeon's office. As such, they're one of the most common complications. I would hardly call something that happens to 5% of people "common", but that should give you an idea. I think most people who haven't done any research on this are working with very dated information. WLS was very risky back in the 60s and 70s, but it's just not anymore. It's a routine surgery that carries about the same risk as having your gall bladder out. It's much safer than other common surgeries, such as hip replacement.

if you have GERD, you should be considering RNY (bypass). RNY often improves or even cures it. VSG can make it worse (although not always. I had GERD before surgery. I knew there was a decent change it would NOT make it worse, but I didn't want to take that risk because it DOES make it worse for a significant minority).

marysherba
on 10/21/19 9:14 am
RNY on 12/27/19

Thank you for your valuable information and support. I agree I should get the bypass.

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 10/21/19 9:11 am
RNY on 08/05/19

"My body, my choice." Make it your mantra.

Sure, there are dangers associated with surgery. But in the long run, those risks are TINY compared to the risks of obesity.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Neonanrs
on 10/22/19 11:31 am

The only person I told about my surgery was my husband. And the only reason why I told his is because I needed someone to pick me up from the hospital. He didn't want me to do the surgery bicameral he thought I would die. What he didn't know was that I was dying inside already. Now a little over four years later, he's my diet coach. "Don't eat that, you don't want to get fat again", he says. And I just look at him and think, "this is coming from the person who didn't support me or go to a meeting with me the whole 6 months before the surgery". Bottom line, do this for you and your health. You are already faced with things that can kill you. At least you know that this surgery can help correct some of those issues.

Surgery date 9-23-15, SW: 212 CW: 125

Doctors goal reached in 6 months. Personal goal reached in 11 months

marysherba
on 10/22/19 4:48 pm
RNY on 12/27/19

Thank you, wow you did great!

marysherba
on 10/22/19 4:50 pm
RNY on 12/27/19

Did you get the sleeve or bypass? You stared at 212 lbs.?

Most Active