Happy 8 years!!!!

Tracasa
on 11/11/19 8:00 am

It just dawned on me today is the 8th year since I had my surgery. I'm still weighing in at 115 sometimes down 2 pounds sometimes up but I jump back in and adjust my food intake.

It's been a long road and at times I regretted it. I'm being honest because my general health went through hell. My resistance was extremely low and I was constantly fighting off colds and fatigue. I was weighing in at 110

and wasn't feeling good so with my Doctor's ok I gained 3 pounds then 2 more. As each year went by I was gaining strength and making sure to eat as much protein as necessary. I decided against any plastics because I didn't want to go through another rough recovery. I'm almost 60 now and my bikini days are over in my opinion. I don't miss eating for entertainment like I did and I honestly don't think of food every second of the day. I'm happy to be able to play with my Grandkids and my dog without stopping to rest. My husband had the surgery 3 years ago and he's doing phenomenal. He's off all his meds as am I ,it's wonderful seeing him so active. My son is near his 1st Anniversary and I couldn't be prouder. He lost 159 pounds and is in great shape and health. This certainly was a life changing experience but now I wouldn't trade it for anything. I speak with those who are interested in the surgery but I don't sugarcoat it. It takes a lot of mental energy to be successful. Congratulations to those on this journey regardless of being an old timer or newbie. Happy Healthy You!

H.A.L.A B.
on 11/11/19 11:00 am

The being weak and need to gain some back - I can relate.

The trend is to drop really low and stay there. But not too low to cause health - energy issues.

And gaining or eating to gain can be though. Really tough. But you know your body and you know what you need to be healthy.

It helped me to get body fat % tested. Knowing that at 150, BMI or 26.4 my body fat % is 20% was significant.

When I dropped to 135, and some docs did not understood why I asked them to help me stop losing, since my BMI was just shy of 24. Only showing them full body DEXA scan that show body fat % at 9% (very unhealthy for any women) made some of them realized that something was not OK. And it helped me to eat more (mental thing) to gain up to 145 lbs. Even putting on just 10 lbs allows me to get some buffer if I get sick.

As you probably know - getting a stomach virus of food poisoning can roll us down 5-6 lbs in just a few days.

Are you sure 115 is high enough for you? Just checking.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Tracasa
on 11/11/19 2:59 pm

Thank you for your input. Yep I'm quite healthy now and as you know it's trial and error. ?

We don't plan on becoming underweight it just happens with some of us but that also doesn't give excuse to replay the bad habits we were used too. Congratulations to you too!

Most Active