Digestive enzymes

Guest9254
on 12/3/19 11:04 am
VSG on 09/18/18

Interesting. I use Sweet-N-Low in my iced tea. I use real sugar in my hot tea. My daily vitamins (multi and a calcium both taken twice a day) are by Bariatric Advantage. They taste pretty good so I'm sure they're loaded with sweeteners. I try to minimize sugar and sweeteners as much as I can. That being said, I do enjoy dark chocolate now. I never did before.

TheWombat
on 12/3/19 1:01 pm, edited 12/3/19 5:02 am
VSG on 06/11/18

My understanding is that it's only the "sugar alcohols" that cause digestive problems. These have names that end in "-ol", e.g., xylitol, sorbitol, mannitol. As with most things, "the dose makes the poison". Chewing a piece of gum or taking a multivitamin or prescribed medication containing sugar alcohols is unlikely to cause you digestive problems. (Maybe White Dove is particularly sensitive to sugar alcohols?) But if you eat a half-dozen pieces of candy sweetened with them, you may regret it!

So your vitamins are probably fine.

H.A.L.A B.
on 12/4/19 9:13 am

Chewing a piece of gum or taking a multivitamin or prescribed medication containing sugar alcohols is unlikely to cause you digestive problems.

She and others like her. I can't chew the SF gums or take any chewable vitamins with SA. Even that small amount (3-4 grams) is enough. BTW: as a perspective - 1 tsp of sugar is 4 gr. So 3-4 gr of SA is actually almost a tsp.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

White Dove
on 12/3/19 2:45 pm - Warren, OH

It was the Bariatric Advantage vitamins and calcium tablets that gave me so much trouble. The maltitol was not listed in their online advertisements, but was listed on the bottle. This was about 12 years ago. I see that they are now using xylitol. That would also give me gas.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

TheWombat
on 12/3/19 1:07 pm, edited 12/3/19 5:07 am
VSG on 06/11/18

My dietitian recommended Colpermin for trapped wind (gas). It's peppermint oil in little capsules, so it might be sold under a different name in the U.S. Might help reduce symptoms while you're trying to find the cause.

Peppermint tea can help too.

H.A.L.A B.
on 12/4/19 9:22 am

You can use them, digestive enzymes, but some people really like the probiotics. That can help with digestion and other things.

For some people, even a relatively small amount of Sugar Alcohols (SA) can cause issues with toxic gas. Getting constipated can most likely cause more gas, since the "food" stays in for a longer time.

Some fruits are worse than others to cause gas. And starchy carbs.

As for fiber - for me personally fiber can give me wicket gas, pain, and cause getting more constipated. If I even eat anything starchy, lower fiber products are less likely to cause gas.

I.e. banana vs apple or pears. Apple and pears have a lot of pectins that can feed our internal bacteria causing gas.

As WD mentioned, I also get bad reaction from using BA chewable vitamins. Now I take a pill, or use some taht don't have any SA. Sugar or fructose is better for me and my personal relationship than any SA.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Komatos
on 12/6/19 11:27 am
VSG on 10/28/19

Hey guys Thought i would share my experience so far I am still just over 1 moth out post op. The vitamins ive been taking are actually Bariatric Fusion. I really liked the idea of only having to take 1 chew-able 4x a day to get most of my nutrients for the day. I probably could use more supplements like more calcium or magnesium but these ones have been doing great for me i think. I don't really get gas or constipated yet. They seemed to be sweetened with Juice powder i have strawberry right now and sucralose witch i'm not super happy with but could be a lot worse. There is less then 1 g of sugars per tablet. and less then 5 calories. Not sure if that might help at all. where im at its about 26$ for a month supply. Witch compared to the massive amount of pills i would have other wise had to take is ALOT ALOT cheaper. Im really glad i haven't gotten constipated yet cuz i know im still having problems getting enough of my liquid particularly water intake. I made some lemon ade the other day lemon juice + water + monk fruit and i swear i drank a bottle of ex-lax it was very effective not that i wanted it to happen that way there was something else i was going to comment on but i can no longer remember what it was so ill stop now. lol Just sharing my information. The long timers here have helped me alot so far reading previous posts and hearing their responses to other peoples problems that i have had as well ^_^

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 41 views