What to eat on pre-op liver shrinking diet?

(deactivated member)
on 12/15/19 3:21 pm
VSG on 12/19/19

Hi all, I am a newbie here. My surgery is in 4 days. Vertical sleeve gastrectomy. I have been on my 2 week pre op liver shrinking diet and doing very well, down 13 pounds already, but I am desperate for suggestions of new things to eat. My instructions were not to go over 50 carbs a day (from fruit and veges), and only eat 4 oz. Of very lean meats and seafood, 1 cup of non starchy vegetables, and limited fruits. Or, Substitute a meal with a protein shake. I am struggling with such a small quantity as well as being satisfied with great flavors. Anyone have any great suggestions of some foods to get me through these last few days?

White Dove
on 12/15/19 3:51 pm - Warren, OH

To make the food taste better head over to the website, The World According to Eggface. She has great suggestions. If you are a lasagna lover, you will probably love Ricotta Bake.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

nevermore71
on 12/18/19 6:12 pm
VSG on 01/08/18

One of things many people miss most right after surgery is salads. I highly recommend you enjoy them while you can. It's about 4 months or more before you'll be able to enjoy one. Other than that I'm not sure what you're allowed. Only 3 meals and just those items or are other items like dairy allowed too? You can always just drink broth. It's generally allowed on any diet as it so low calorie, low fat, and low carb.

TheWombat
on 12/19/19 2:00 pm
VSG on 06/11/18

Every time you feel hungry and it's not mealtime, drink a glass of water. That will probably keep the hunger pangs away for at least a half hour. Plus, it's great practice for after surgery, when you will need to get in lots of fluids.

I assume you're allowed diet jello. It only fills you up for a short time, but it feels like you're eating something and gives you something to do.

Jenn1
on 12/21/19 10:09 pm
VSG on 06/04/14
On December 15, 2019 at 11:21 PM Pacific Time, onceawatson wrote:

Hi all, I am a newbie here. My surgery is in 4 days. Vertical sleeve gastrectomy. I have been on my 2 week pre op liver shrinking diet and doing very well, down 13 pounds already, but I am desperate for suggestions of new things to eat. My instructions were not to go over 50 carbs a day (from fruit and veges), and only eat 4 oz. Of very lean meats and seafood, 1 cup of non starchy vegetables, and limited fruits. Or, Substitute a meal with a protein shake. I am struggling with such a small quantity as well as being satisfied with great flavors. Anyone have any great suggestions of some foods to get me through these last few days?

You have done fantastic.

I'm five years out and maintaining. Stalls are frustrating. As you get closer to goal you have less fat to burn. Expect weight loss to be slow *smile* If you are logging your food, following your food plan and exercising the weight will come off.

At a year+ out, What are your dietician's calories, carbs and protein ratios set at? Are you eating real whole foods to hit your calories/macros? Have you noticed any changes to your surgery restriction?

Grim_Traveller
on 12/21/19 10:35 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

I think you should read her post.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Most Active