NO WEIGHT GAIN, JUST STUCK LOSING WEIGHT...

SV786
on 12/21/19 5:13 am
VSG on 06/10/18

Hello Anyone,

I have done well losing weight since October last year. I am just 2 stone out from my perfect target weight which will be 100% excess weight loss but weight is not coming off.

These last 4 weeks it has gone down 2lbs then up 2lbs then down and this week up again. Any hints and tips would so be appreciated.

The dietician states that this is due to the metabolic cells adjusting as they now require less calories to survive following in essence, a year of starvation. Rather than the physics I just want to get back to weight loss. Any ideas?

I usually hit over 60 grams of protein daily so what am I doing or not doing?

?

Grim_Traveller
on 12/21/19 7:15 am
RNY on 08/21/12

Right now, you are expending as many calories as you are taking in. You'll need to take in fewer calories if you want to drop some more weight.

Do you weigh your food, and track every bite? That's the only way to be certain how much you're taking in. Cut back a little, be consistent, and you will lose more.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

SV786
on 12/31/19 4:59 am
VSG on 06/10/18

Hello Grim_Traveller,

I think you are right, I need to drop my calories. I do track everything but as I am over 1000 calories in consumption I think that's the problem. I will take your advice and cut back to 900 initially then go to 800 if need be.

Feel like I will be in starvation mode again! ?

White Dove
on 12/21/19 8:58 am - Warren, OH

The body is smart. It knows that it was starved and it is fighting to get its weight back. It was so easy at first, but now I have to fight harder every year. To lose the rest of the weight, you will have to eat less calories than you are burning. I can do that when I make up my mind and you can too.

Protein is just one part of the equation. You need to consider how many carbs, how many grams of fat, how many calories, how much water, and how much exercise you are getting.

MyFitnessPal is an excellent app that many of us use to know exactly what we are eating. Daily weighing is also essential to me.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

SV786
on 12/31/19 5:01 am
VSG on 06/10/18

Hello White Dove,

I think I am worried that if I drop more calories, which I know I will have to do, if my body adjusts to that intake I wont be able to increase much to maintain before I might gain..... But a sacrifice I must make! ?

White Dove
on 12/31/19 6:55 am - Warren, OH

Your maintenance calorie intake will be about 10 times your maintenance weight. So if you want to maintain at 130, then your calories will be about 1300.

Taking off more weight now will not change that. If you are more active, you might maintain at 12 times your weight, if less active at 8 times your weight. Everyone finds the amount that works for their body.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

hollykim
on 12/21/19 9:16 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On December 21, 2019 at 1:13 PM Pacific Time, SV786 wrote:

Hello Anyone,

I have done well losing weight since October last year. I am just 2 stone out from my perfect target weight which will be 100% excess weight loss but weight is not coming off.

These last 4 weeks it has gone down 2lbs then up 2lbs then down and this week up again. Any hints and tips would so be appreciated.

The dietician states that this is due to the metabolic cells adjusting as they now require less calories to survive following in essence, a year of starvation. Rather than the physics I just want to get back to weight loss. Any ideas?

I usually hit over 60 grams of protein daily so what am I doing or not doing?

?

what does a days menu look like for you? Many of us have to eat 600-800 caps a day to lose.

SV786
on 12/31/19 5:05 am
VSG on 06/10/18

Hello Holly Kim,

Thank you for getting back to me.

I tend to eat protein, no carbs with my meals, usually no veg as there is no room left so I am probably not eating quite right. I hate protein shakes as they remind me of that awful slim fast shake, unless there is one that tastes like McDonald's Strawberry shake if course!

Not sure what to eat to stay satisfied in 600-800 calories and hit my protein target..... ?

TheWombat
on 12/21/19 9:19 am
VSG on 06/11/18

How many calories do you eat in a day? Most WLS people find they have to stick to about 800 calories per day in order to lose weight at a good pace. Here are a few other suggestions to help:

When you feel hungry and it's not mealtime or snacktime, drink a glass of water (or other low calorie beverage). This will help you naturally eat less. Also, after surgery you will need to drink a lot of fluids, so this is good practice. Currently, your stomach holds some fluid in reserve which your body can draw on when needed. Surgery removes that portion of the stomach, so you will need to drink fluids more often to stay hydrated.

Don't drink with meals. Drinking with meals causes the stomach to empty more quickly, so you will feel hungry sooner. This is true even for people who haven't had surgery, but you will need to stop this after surgery.

Record everything you eat. Popular apps for this include myfitnesspal.com and cronometer.com. Personally, I recommend cronometer. Analysing what you eat will help you identify small changes that you can make that will help you lose weight without feeling deprived. If you bring detailed records of what you eat to your dietitian, he or she will probably have great suggestions for you.

If you make a mistake, start fresh with the next meal. Don't wait for the next day.

If you're not a breakfast person, you don't need to eat it. Personally, I'm not hungry early in the morning, and if I do eat breakfast, it seems to "wake up" my stomach and then I find it more difficult to watch what I eat. Instead, I skip breakfast and try to get in 1.5 litres of fluid before I eat anything. This gives me a good head start on my fluids for the day, and allows me to save some calories for later in the day, when I do get hungry.

TheWombat
on 12/21/19 9:36 am
VSG on 06/11/18

I just realised that we had our surgeries one day apart!

Most Active