VSG approved -- tell me about yours

doIdare
on 12/28/19 7:05 pm, edited 12/30/19 3:30 am

Hi everyone,

I've been approved for VSG in Mexico with Dr. Alvarez. I've had so many thoughts since I got the notification...

What do you wish you had known before surgery?

What surprised you the most after?

What was the hardest part?

doIdare
on 12/29/19 6:32 am
Grim_Traveller
on 12/29/19 1:38 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

The less than symbol will cause the rest of you post to disappear. Avoid special symbols.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

White Dove
on 12/30/19 8:13 am - Warren, OH

I did not do much research and even what I did do did not make much difference until I actually had the surgery.

I had surgery before VSG was popular and had RNY. Dr. Alvarez seems to be an amazing surgeon. He has many YouTube videos that will answer all of your questions.

It is an amazing feeling to not be able to eat much food. It is amazing to see the pounds drop off like magic. The next year should be amazing for you.

My biggest surprise was that I lost the hunger sensation and lost interest in food in general. I started treating it like medicine and make sure I had all of my protein and other nutrition. But I had to remind myself to eat.

The hardest part for me is nothing. I still have little interest in food and find it easy to lose weight when I do have regain. It has all been easy for me.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

TheWombat
on 12/31/19 4:27 pm
VSG on 06/11/18

One suggestion I have for you is not to buy a lot of stuff in preparation for surgery. Especially food. Your tastes will probably change after surgery, at least for a while. The protein powders and protein shakes you like now may taste horrible after surgery. By the time you're ready for anything more than liquids, you'll probably be feeling well enough to go shopping.

The only thing that is worth buying is some small dishes (about the size of a saucer for a teacup) and bowls. I still use mine.

Most Active