I had my gastric sleeve surgery 12/27/19

marysherba
on 12/31/19 2:27 pm
RNY on 12/27/19

I'm sore and having some difficulty getting the fluids I need down. I have some fluid retention and have not lost any weight? When should I start seeing weight loss.

White Dove
on 12/31/19 2:39 pm - Warren, OH

I gained 19 pounds between the morning of surgery and the night of surgery. My doctor just laughed and told me to go home and pee it out. I lost that 19 pounds and another 5 the first week.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

TheWombat
on 12/31/19 4:50 pm
VSG on 06/11/18

It took me about 5 or 6 days to pee out all those fluids the pump you full of! Really, the best thing you can do to get rid of it is, counterintuitively, to drink more fluid. I know it can be difficult, but for right now, your #1 job is to sip, sip, sip all day long.

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 12/31/19 4:50 pm - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14 with

Right now your body is in wtf mode & is probably more concentrated on healing than losing weight right now. Keep sipping on tha****er all day if you have to, it's going to be hard to get enough fluids in like you used to right now. I forgot when I started seeing weight loss, but it will happen.

Welcome to the losers bench & I hope you have a speedy recovery.

No one surgery is better than the other, what works for one may not work for another. T-Rebel

https://fivedaymeattest.com/

lamod
on 1/2/20 7:28 am

as hard as it is, you need to keep the water with you and sip, sip, sip.... sounds like a broken record, but work on getting your water and protein in. you will be sore for a while from surgery, and also until you get the drain tube removed. Walk as much as you can to help get rid of the gas from surgery. That will stay with you for about a week (unfortunately).

Good luck, You GOT THIS!

TheWombat
on 1/2/20 12:01 pm
VSG on 06/11/18

To help with the difficulty of getting fluids down, here are a few suggestions.

• Experiment with different temperatures. Right after surgery, some people find it easier to drink hot fluids, some find cold easier.
  • If you're drinking protein shakes, remember they count as fluids.
  • I found plain water felt very heavy in my stomach. Adding a little acidity (like a squeeze of lemon) helped a lot.
  • Follow your own medical team's advice on this, but don't worry too much about getting enough protein right now. You won't get malnutrition in a month or two. Right now the fluids are the important thing.
Most Active