Are you tired?

Mamasgardenias
on 1/2/20 12:35 pm
VSG on 12/30/19

Hello everyone!

I'm new to this forum and 4 days post op (VGS).

Do any of you nap after surgery? If so, how often? I find that i'm sleepier today than I was a few days ago. I'm drinking plenty of protein, water & broth. I don't really feel weak, just sleepy tired.

Also, what's the activity level that's considered "normal" or average the first week post op?

White Dove
on 1/2/20 4:02 pm - Warren, OH

Everyone is different, but after major surgery, most of us needed naps for the first weeks. I went back to a desk job in a week, but napped in the evenings for the first few weeks. I think my energy was completely back at about three weeks after surgery.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

TheWombat
on 1/2/20 5:11 pm
VSG on 06/11/18

My surgeon advised me to take a month off work. I thought that was excessive, but I'm glad I followed his advice. Even though I have a desk job, the first week I slept about 12 hours a night!

A few days after surgery, I felt like I had loads of energy, and that led me to overdo it. I found that fatigue would strike quickly, without warning. Most of the time I felt fantastic,but fatigue would strike suddenly, without warning, and I would need to sit down now.

About two months after surgery, I was supposed to give a presentation. About two slides in I knew I wasn't going to make it, and had to lie down. Of course, I was 58 when I had the surgery, but I don't know that age was a big factor.

It was a few months before I got my full endurance back. Don't get me wrong, most of the time I felt fantastic, and better than before surgery.

Grim_Traveller
on 1/3/20 12:25 am
RNY on 08/21/12

You had major surgery 4 days ago! This is completely normal!

I was napping a couple of months after surgery. It gradually gets better, but don't try to rush things.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Laura in Texas
on 1/3/20 5:51 am

I had RNY and was completely exhausted for the first 6 months. About the six month mark was when my energy returned. Hang in there!!

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

Patocrew731
on 1/5/20 6:57 am
VSG on 11/20/19

I had VGS Nov 20, 2019 and I was extremely sleeping and fatiqued. I have had many surgeries in the past but never felt so tired as I did after VGS. Rest, rest and rest! I tired to fight it but my body demanded it. I couldn't stay away longer than 10 mins for a solid week. I was weak and shaky. (Hypoglycemic too). Even my voice was weak lol. After 2 and half weeks I was fine. So if you can rest , go with it. It's from the liquid diet before hand and afterwards. Drink your protein too.

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 35 views