Sleeve Revision

Danyelle13
on 1/3/20 3:29 pm

2015 i had the sleeve i lost 50 right after i started having knee pain. I went in i have no cartilage in my knee so i started to get steroids injection and were not told it would make me gain weight. I'm up to 270 i was 243. I'm so depress because i did everything i had to do to lose the weight. Now i have to have a knee replacement ,I'm in pain constantly i won't take any more shots in my knee or pain pills so i suffer through the pain.because i don't want to gain anymore weight. Please help me i would like to get a sleeve revision

White Dove
on 1/3/20 4:06 pm - Warren, OH

You have been through a lot. It sounds like the knee replacement would be your first priority. Steroid shots increase appetite and cause more fat to be deposited. Look for other ways to deal with the pain. Ice, compression bandages or knee braces, rest, elevation, and Biofreeze help me.

You would need to talk to a surgeon about a revision to your sleeve. If you have a lot of GERD, then they might revise it to RNY. Sometimes insurance will pay for a revision when there is insufficient weight loss. The only way to find out is to ask.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

H.A.L.A B.
on 1/4/20 5:29 am

I can relate to steroids injections that caused water retention, blood sugar fluctuations and appetite. But what and how much I gained was because I ate more and more sugary carbt foods because of the cravings. Post op RNY, I get lower back epidurals, and I get SI joints injections regularly. Right after injections, I have a temporary weight gain due to the steroids (2 - 4 lbs) and I get more hungry, but now I make sure I have enough dense proteins at home and I eat that, staying away from carby things.

Just gaining weight may not qualify you for sleeve revision. And if your sleeve us still good, not significantly enlarged, it would be no reason to make it smaller.

Unfortunately you need to try to get back on post WLS diet, of dense proteins, then some fat, and some non starchy veggies. You still have the tool. Unless there is something wrong with your current sleeve, a revision may not help you, but it can make you much worse health wise.

A lot of doctors would not do a knee replacement surgery unless the patient loses some weight.

We don't need to exercise to lose weight. I start exercise when I want to gain weight. Seriously. When I exercise I get more hungry, I want to eat more, and I eat more.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

White Dove
on 1/4/20 8:38 am - Warren, OH

After I recovered from open heart surgery in 2016, I got down to my goal weight, but was very weak and my muscles had disappeared. My calves were just little hanging flaps of skin on the back of my legs. I needed to exercise to build my muscles back.

I did the exercise at the hospital therapy center wearing a heart monitor. Within a month, my muscles were back but I also put on an extra 10 pounds. I decided to just accept that extra weight because I felt strong and healthy.

But that extra 10 slowly turned to an extra 30 by the beginning of 2019. It was hard to walk for any distance at all and when I would try to exercise I would end up with terrible muscle pain and cramps. In January of 2019, I joined Weigh****chers online program. By June I was back down to being 10 pounds over goal. I felt great and quit the program.

On Wednesday morning, I weighed in at 19 pounds over my goal and signed up for Weigh****chers again. I am following the program and this time plan to get to goal by June. After weight loss surgery, my weight still depends on what I eat and exercise can cause me to gain.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Laura in Texas
on 1/4/20 6:56 am

You should watch some of Dr. Vuong's videos. Sometimes I think he is a whack-a-doodle, but he does have some insightful things to say.

HERE is one on revisions.

HERE is a good one dealing with the problems of WLS.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

Underconstruction_20

on 1/4/20 5:10 pm
VSG on 08/29/19

I also watch Dr. Vuong. He is very knowledgeable.

SuMari
on 1/7/20 3:35 pm

Are there ways that you can still be moving without having to cause stress to your knee? Chair exercises? Not sure what the pool would feel like?

Most Active