Sleeved 12/10/19.... not losing much

Vanvooh
on 1/7/20 10:02 am

HI everyone,

I had the sleeve done and everything so far has gone really well. I was not sick really or in much pain. But I am not really losing a lot of weight. Its been foour weeks and Im only down like 12 pounds or so. I know its a learning curve for me as to what and how to eat but Im often hungry and that is causing problems. I have sent a note to NUT on this but I am wondering a few things from the group..

one- does this hunger go away? I thought that was part of the reason to do this surgery

Second- maybe it's just a stall? anyone have an experience like this?

ladygodiva1228
on 1/7/20 11:53 am - Putnam, CT
Revision on 02/04/15
On January 7, 2020 at 6:02 PM Pacific Time, Vanvooh wrote:

HI everyone,

I had the sleeve done and everything so far has gone really well. I was not sick really or in much pain. But I am not really losing a lot of weight. Its been foour weeks and Im only down like 12 pounds or so. I know its a learning curve for me as to what and how to eat but Im often hungry and that is causing problems. I have sent a note to NUT on this but I am wondering a few things from the group..

one- does this hunger go away? I thought that was part of the reason to do this surgery

Second- maybe it's just a stall? anyone have an experience like this?

There is the 3 week stall, but besides that what does your daily menu look like? How much fluid are you drinking? Are you tracking what you eat?

Sometimes acid mimics hunger and there is of course head hunger. For some people the hunger goes away, but for others it does not.

Dr. Sanchez Lapband 9/12/2003
hw305/revision w280/cw197/gw150

Revision from Lap Band to Bypass on 2/4/2015 by Dr. Pohl

Vanvooh
on 1/7/20 12:16 pm

You know what.. I think its the stomach acid. I was told by my GI surgeon that my stomach acid level is a little high. I bet that is what it is... That is why I am eating too much. I usually grab some crackers or a piece of toast which are carbs I dint need.

Thanks !

ladygodiva1228
on 1/7/20 12:35 pm - Putnam, CT
Revision on 02/04/15

Are you taking a PPI for the acid? Most all surgeons regardless of what surgery one has puts their patients on one for at least the first three months.

Did you have a high level of acid before you had the sleeve?

Vanvooh
on 1/7/20 12:40 pm

No.. I'm not taking anything in the way of PPI right now. Nothing was subscribed. Also- Im not aware of what my stomach acid levels were before the surgery. Only after as they ran some tests due to abnormal cells on the biopsy from the stomach that they took. I sent a note to my Bariatric Surgeons group about this

Thank you !

jmk187
on 1/8/20 5:16 am
VSG on 02/13/19

a little over a month out i dont even think I was on solids yet. My caloric intake was about 300-400 calories a day. I was eating pretty much 1 can of fat free refried beans a day. Sometimes I would switch off between the beans and the ricotta cheese bake for a meal. My calories would be a little higher for the day if i had the ricotta. The reason I ate the beans was part because I couldnt stomach pureeing my own chicken(thought of now makes me want to vomit) and I didnt like the taste of canned chicken too much(smells like tuna). And also part because they satisfied me. I would eat about 5oz of refried beans with a sprinkling of shredded cheddar(and i do mean just a sprinkling for flavor) and some hotsauce and it would satiate me.

What are you eating exactly? You mentioned crackers..Not good. Slider food and empty calories. You have to eat something from the approved list..it will be a protein source. I chose the fat free refried beans.

All in All though 12lbs in a month is still pretty good. Just stay away from them slider foods..Drink lots of water..and Follow the Protein First rule Always. If you're hungry after a meal do something to get your mind off of food..Go For A walk..Do a puzzle..Something. Good Luck.

HW-430

SW-372

Day of Surgery-347

CW-246

jmk187
on 1/8/20 5:21 am
VSG on 02/13/19

Forgot to say Always wait at least 30mins to drink water after a meal. Its very important.

HW-430

SW-372

Day of Surgery-347

CW-246

Vanvooh
on 1/8/20 9:50 am

Hi JMK.. Thanks for your reply. Crackers and toast are actually on my approved list. We have been on soft foods since week 2 and crackers are included in that. However, I probably have been eating too much but it is because of hunger. I have had the ricotta back and that is great. I just think I need to have two protein shakes a day and one or two small soft meals. That should do it. My NUT said around 600 calories a day right now. I was probably getting close to 1000. Anyway.. thanks for your input !

ladygodiva1228
on 1/8/20 11:28 am - Putnam, CT
Revision on 02/04/15

One note just because it is on your doesn't mean it is good to have. Trust me more surgeons and nutritionists put things on a plan that truely should not be there. I think that is what causes some folks to struggle and not get to goal because they "follow" the plan.

If I were you I would go out and get some OTC omeprazole it is a PPI to help with the acid.

Make sure your foods are protein forward be it scrambled eggs, cottage cheese, ricotta bake, deli meat especially shaved deli ham is very easy on the stomach, but you really have to make sure you are measuring/tracking what you eat just eyeballing things will end up having you eating more calories.

H.A.L.A B.
on 1/9/20 6:02 am

I am over 11 years post op. Currently maintaining slightly below goal.

Since I am so far out post op, and below goal - there are no foods I can't eat. All foods are on my "what can I eat" list. Including desserts, starches, breads etc.

But just because I can eat something, or drink something, it doesn't mean I should eat that every day or often.

As I found out the hard way, eating "whatever I wanted and having some alcoholic drinks socially " caused weight regain, up to 40 lbs regain. That was not cool.

Now I try to weigh myself daily, and if my weekly average weight is going up, or it reached the top of my goal range scale, I dont eat foods I know would cause regain. Like crackers, bread, fries, potatoes, pasta, even fruits.

I am currently below goal and I do allow myself a bite or 2 of something I normally dont eat, but only a small serving, and often after a meal.

I also discovered that drinking alcohol, a few times a week at the most, would trigger weight gain. So 99% of the time I now choose not to drink any. I'm ok with that.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 43 views