Welcome to One-derland!!!

NCMTNEER13
on 1/24/20 11:06 am
VSG on 11/26/18

Well it may have taken me longer than anticipated, but I did it! I finally got under 200 lbs! I AM IN 'ONE-DERLAND!!

I haven't been on here much lately so here is a quick recap. 38 years old. Started WLS journey in February of 2018 at 320 lbs. Lost 50 lbs in the pre-op insurance requirement period (March-November 2018). On 11/26/18 I had VSG performed. Within the first 4 months post-op I lost another 50 lbs (100 lbs total). That brought me down to 220 lbs by April of 2019.

At that rate I figured I would blow under 200 lbs in no time and was even starting to think I would get down to 175 lbs by my 1 year anniversary. BOY WAS I WRONG!!! The last 20 lbs took me almost 10 months!!!! I continued to lose, but instead of 1-2 lbs every week, it was more like 1-2 lbs every MONTH. At some point I doubted if I would ever get to the elusive "one-derland", but I kept at it, fighting the urge to go back to my old eating habits while my sleeve's restriction seemed less and less every day. Don't get me wrong. I am very fortunate that I didn't have any complications, I didn't get sick (at all), that my restriction wasn't a severe as others, and I can eat "normally". But because I wasn't losing weight as fast, I wondered if I had gone far enough. I wondered that maybe I would just have to settle for 200-210 lbs. Maybe that I would never experience being under 200 lbs.

My 1 year anniversary came and went, and I was still 2-3 lbs away from "One-derland". Yes I was thrilled that I had lost 115-117 lbs, but I really wanted to get below 200. So after new years I refocused. I went back to my pre and post surgery habits and routines. And within 3 weeks I lost the 5 lbs and got down to 199.8.

So yes, I wont like and say the scale isn't important to me. I am very happy about my weight loss and will keep working on it. But the scale isn't the most important thing to me. Here are some of the NSVs (non-scale victories) that I have achieved:

• Shirt Size- Went from a XXXL to L
  • Dress Shirt Size- Went from a size 20 neck to a 16.5
  • Pants Size- Went from a size 44 to a size 34
  • I can now wrap up in normal size towel.
  • I finished my 1st 5K race (without any walking) and actually placed 3rd in my age division!!
  • I am part of a weekly running club and regularly run up to 6 miles now.
  • I can lift 120 lbs (bench press) and do 100 lb squats without much effort.
  • I regularly take spin cycle classes now at the local YMCA
  • Back and knee pain is almost completely gone (except after cycle classes or club runs..)
  • My BP is back down and I am off of my metformin
  • All my vitamin levels are in the normal range
  • Sleep apnea was downgraded from Moderate to Mild
  • I was able to go downhill skiing with much more control and ski all day before getting tired.
  • Learned to ice skate!
  • Walked around NYC for 3 days and never had any pain or felt overly exhausted.

Thank you to everyone who has provided me with support!!

catwoman7
on 1/24/20 12:14 pm
RNY on 06/03/15

great to see you back here again! And congratulations!!

Frank_M
on 1/27/20 8:01 pm
VSG on 05/14/19 with

Congrats on your success! I'm sure if you stay with your current routine you can go even lower. And I can relate to the towel victory. Its amazing how many good things happen.

Most Active