Absorption of psychotropic medications after sleeve surgery please help me understand

Lfarina
on 2/2/20 2:45 pm

Hi

I am thinking about having gastric sleeve surgery. I am participating in a bariatric program now. I am worried about absorption of my psychotropic medications being absorbed.

thanks,

leesa

lbalaw2
on 2/3/20 2:02 pm
VSG on 09/19/17

According to my surgeon there is less problem with medication absorption from a VSG as opposed to a bypass (RNY). The bypass uses malabsorption as part of it's method to lose weight as well as a drastically reduced stomach size. With a bypass you may need to pay closer attention to your dosage and effectiveness. Best resource for answers would be your surgeon. I chose VSG specifically to decrease problems with medication absorption. Had a problem anyhow, but found out that was from taking my vitamins too close to my medication and the vitamins blocked the absorption. There are many things to consider. If you currently have reflux, bypass may be better option as VSG can make it worse. So far I have not had that issue. Knock on wood. Discuss this with your surgeon thoroughly before making your choice. Good luck to you!

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 2/3/20 2:50 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

The sleeve surgery does not have malabsorption. Your medication will not be affected.

I have bipolar and my medications were not affected at all by the VSG.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

acaciaj
on 2/7/20 1:14 am

Hi, I had my VGS in 2007. I was taking Effexor, Lamictal and Seroquel (Australian brand names) for Bipolar. I didn't need to change my dose but they were absorbed faster (and still are). The only difference I actually felt was with the Seroquel because it's sedating. It used to take 45 mins to an hour to work. Now it takes 20-30 minutes. Hope that helps!

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 55 views