Pain and wound care

venram
on 2/3/20 3:07 pm
VSG on 01/30/20

I am 4 days post-surgery. Coughing and getting out of bed feels like a knife in the largest incision. When can I expect that to go away?

Also, did your doc tell you when you can shower/pu****er on the wounds?

H.A.L.A B.
on 2/4/20 8:05 am

The pain is very individual. Some people don't feel too much pain, others can be in pain, or discomfort for a week or longer. Do your best in a meantime.

My pain became more manageable in a week 2. First few days was really challenging. I survived by trying to rest, to sleep it of. And since I am allergic to most pain medications, when I took any opiates, I had to take a benadryl and the combination would knock me out. Only to be woken up by pain. Knowing it is going to get better allowed me to have enough patience.

If you still in a major pain after a week, that may be a cause to let the doctor know.

As for the shower- call your center and ask them. Different doctors protect the wounds differently and their requirements for wounds care can be different.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

venram
on 2/6/20 11:11 am
VSG on 01/30/20

Thank you. Now 7 days out and feeling well. Pain is less noticeable. Had a shower and that felt good.

Feel like recovery is on track.

venram
on 2/6/20 11:15 am
VSG on 01/30/20

You know they were not kidding when they said your taste would change. I used to like Premier Protein clear protein a whole lot better than Fairlife protein chocolate shake. But my experience is that any sweetness is getting amplified to the extent that it is becoming intolerable.

I had Fairlife today and what a welcome change that was. Instead of gaging before taking a sip of Premier Protein clear protein, I could almost chug Fairlife protein chocolate shake.

H.A.L.A B.
on 2/7/20 6:59 am

For a few months after surgery I had to mix 50-50 flavored and unflavored proteins.

I used a lot decaffeinated coffee and ice to help reduce the sweet taste of some protein shakes. Clear shakes - lots of ice. Making slushies like consistency. Or making popsicles. The frozen don't taste as sweet.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

venram
on 2/6/20 11:15 am
VSG on 01/30/20

Now looking for a simple recipe to have "Farina" for breakfast. Any suggestions?

TheWombat
on 2/6/20 3:41 pm
VSG on 06/11/18

This may sound weird, but you could try it just plain. For the first month after my surgery, it seemed like most of the things I could eat were sweet. I got really tired of that and wanted something savoury, but was afraid of getting too adventurous with spices for my new stomach. So I tried plain oatmeal, without any sweetener or anything. It tasted delicious and full of flavour! Farina might be similar in that way.

Of course, I would find it very bland now. But it hit the spot then.

venram
on 2/10/20 8:24 am
VSG on 01/30/20

Tried that but did not work for me. Had to add a touch of honey and cinnamon. Quite filling!

venram
on 2/11/20 2:36 pm
VSG on 01/30/20

12 post-VSG now.

No pain to complain about. Happy about that.

I will be seeing my doctor for the first time after surgery in 2 days.

Every time I finish eating I am feeling nauseous and lethargic. Is that normal?

venram
on 4/5/20 3:37 pm, edited 4/5/20 8:42 am
VSG on 01/30/20

Life is almost back to the normal I expected. Drinking plain water is still a chore. I can drink Fairlife protein shake without any problem but with water, I have to force myself to take the next sip.

Doc approved walks/jogs but no crunches. Afraid I might have extra skin hanging below the belly - what is the secret to avoiding that?

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 42 views