Menu suggestions for Mom supporting Daughter when visiting

CuriousLady2020
on 4/14/20 10:11 am

Hello everyone,

I have been under the weather for a bit with health issues of my own, but my daughter is starting through this process and I want to be able to be prepared since they visit a lot (hopefully in the future when we can) for dinners. Is there a place I can get menu information from that is vsg friendly so I can lean that way to support her both before and after surgery when she can eat solid food?

Thank you and be safe!

jenorama
on 4/15/20 8:58 am - CA
RNY on 10/07/13

Visiting family--something we all look forward to! Once your daughter is on solid foods, she ought to be eating small portions and protein-forward. You might want to ask her what proteins she's tolerating well. Some folks have trouble pork or beef for example, but do just fine with chicken and fish. Avoid things with heavy breading and don't make her feel obligated to have a side dish. Early on, 2 oz of dense protein will do it.

Other than that, there's not a whole lot special you need to do! Stay healthy!

Jen

CuriousLady2020
on 4/16/20 2:07 pm

Thanks, jenorama! I think I'll continue researching and know that she will have to let me know what she's tolerating at the time. It's not quite time yet...with this crisis going on.

hollykim
on 4/16/20 9:35 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On April 14, 2020 at 5:11 PM Pacific Time, CuriousLady2020 wrote:

Hello everyone,

I have been under the weather for a bit with health issues of my own, but my daughter is starting through this process and I want to be able to be prepared since they visit a lot (hopefully in the future when we can) for dinners. Is there a place I can get menu information from that is vsg friendly so I can lean that way to support her both before and after surgery when she can eat solid food?

Thank you and be safe!

you don't need a "place" to get information about how you can best support your daughters new lifestyle. You need to ask HER what she needs from you. You need to ask her what food she needs you to stock/prepare for her while she is there.
don't try to force anything else besides what she asks for on her.

you can't micromanage this for her. It is her journey.

CuriousLady2020
on 4/16/20 2:11 pm

hollykim, Thank you for this guidance, it's very valuable to me. I'm not a pushy person at all, so will let her know I support her all the way, but need her advice on what I can stock and prepare along the way.

OnlineAnnie
on 4/16/20 10:27 pm

That is so kind and thoughtful of you, what a great mom you are! There are bariatric cookbooks, but really ultmately once she's onto solid foods she'll be eating regular food like meats, and will likely have no room for anything else. She'll want meat because it's protein, but she might (or might not) have trouble if it's too spicy, as I do! You'll probably be surprised by how little she will eat, but don't worry, that's normal and expected.

Keep well.

CuriousLady2020
on 4/17/20 3:37 pm

OnlineAnnie,

Thank you for offering the info, every bit I learn is helpful, and I'm finding I need to let her guide me, not the other way around! This is a big decision for her, but the point is for her to be healthier for life, so I'm behind it.

White Dove
on 4/17/20 3:32 pm - Warren, OH

I did the best with meats cooked in a pressure cooker until very tender. Beef or chicken worked for me. Also tender, flaky fish. A bit of green vegetables and no starches. No bread, potatoes, corn, pasta, noodles, rice, cereal. Nothing made with flour or sugar.

At 13 years out, about three ounces of meat is enough for a filling meal.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

CuriousLady2020
on 4/17/20 3:45 pm

White Dove,

Wow, 13 years! You must have a trunk full of tried and true recipes! I happen to have an InstaPot, so this could be a good way to go for myself as well, cutting out a lot of carbs. They are trouble for me, since I have always liked rice, potato, and pasta dishes.

Thanks so much, I'm grateful for this community!

White Dove
on 4/18/20 6:44 am - Warren, OH

Still my favorite is a bottom round roast, a package of McCormick Au Jus mix, and three or four cups of water in pressure cooker. It gives the beef a flavor like nothing else. No other brand tastes the same. The beef is extremely tender and flavorful.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 59 views