1 year Surgiversary

Jinxy6
on 5/14/20 5:53 pm - SC

It was one year ago today that I had my sleeve and almost two years since I started considering it. I had contemplated bariatric surgery several times over the years but always chickened out. I was over 60 and figured this was just my life. Then my 35 year old daughter had a sleeve and I watched her "disappear" over the next year. I was amazed at her transformation, her energy, her attitude, just her. I was even more distraught over my lack thereof. So, I gathered my sickly, exhausted, morbidly obese self and screwed up my courage and wallah! Here I am one year and 95 pounds later and I am so incredibly blessed, grateful and amazed at myself. In the past, I could never imagine feeling any different than I had for years - sick and tired and depressed and.... well you know. Now I can breathe, I can move, I have rejoined my life and I couldn't be more pleased. I could not have imagined the ways my life would change. My kids are glad to have their mom back. My husband is thrilled to have his wife back and I am now an active part of my grandkids lives - not just the fat old lady in the bedroom. If you are thinking about the surgery, I encourage you to gather your courage and find out everything you need to know to make the call. For those considering this step, my one tip is to find a counselor, one that deals with bariatric patients. My surgeon recommended several and my guy was such a blessing. If you already had the surgery, thank you for your candid posts about your journey. They did help. I have a bit farther to go but I am so glad to have taken the plunge!! God bless you all and remember, God is good, ALL the time!

Jinxy

Liz WantsHealthForAll
on 5/16/20 5:04 am - Cape Cod, MA
VSG on 03/28/16

Congratulations! I had my VSG at 61 and it was the best decision I ever made too. Remember that life will throw curve balls at you, but remember how good you feel now and keep using your "tool" (VSG) to help you maintain your physical health.

Liz 5'3" HW: 219 SW: 185 GW: 125 LW: 113 Desired maintenance range: 120-123 CW: 120 (after losing 20 lb. regain)!

Jinxy6
on 6/9/20 5:07 am - SC

Thanks Liz! I have caught a couple of those curve balls but I am managing pretty well I think. It is the best thing I have done! God is good!

AliG64
on 5/26/20 8:47 am

Hi, Jinxy6. Congratulations on your one year!! Wow, it sounds like you have no regrets.
I am a 64 year old lady going through the process for a vertical sleeve. I am currently following the diet to lose 10% then my doctor and I will go on to next step. I am concerned about my age and the fact that my skin most likely will not recover. I am also hearing now about hair loss.

would you mind sharing your thoughts regarding these two issues.

I know that carrying around baggy skin and being hairless is far better than the weight, but just curious to hear thoughts from someone closer to my age.

Thank You

Ali G

Jinxy6
on 6/9/20 5:04 am - SC

Hi Ali,

Sorry for the delay in responding, I don't get on here very often. Congrats on your decision. I absolutely have no regrets! I'm still amazed at how much better I am. As far as the skin, the only issue I have is some sagging. I started using L'Oréal Revitalift a few months ago and I feel like it has helped a bit but the face is no different than the body I guess when it comes to extra skin. My hair has thinned significantly. I have naturally wavy hair so it doesn't look much different but I can tell when I try to put it up in a clip.

I was really concerned about my age, as well as the fact that I had never had actual surgery. I've had "procedures " over the years but never been cut on. God really blessed me tho. I apparently had some blood pressure issues in recovery. I guess it took awhile to get my pain under control but I don't remember that. When I was finally awake and in my room, I felt fine. I spent two nights in the hospital because of some wonky blood work. It's been fine ever since. I think I may have taken a total of three pain pills overall. I had no problem getting around. My daughter slept in the recliner for more than a week because it hurt her to lie down. Not so for me. I truly never had any problems after recovery.

The hardest thing for me was the lack of energy/fatigue. I mean serious fatigue. My daughter told me her energy returned around the eight week mark. It turned out to be the same for me. I think once I started eating real food again, the fatigue "wore off", lol. I'm not crazy about the extra skin but I haven't had any problems with it. I'm not sure I would go through any removal surgeries. Spanx and a good bra do the trick for me. I was wearing sizes 24-26w and now I'm actually in a size 18w in most things. I bought some tops in an xl. I haven't worn that since my twenties. I breathe easier and it turns out I'm not lazy, It just became such a chore to move so I didn't. Now I even do a bit of yoga.

All this to say don't be afraid. It's truly the best thing I have done for myself AND for my family. I am involved in my life again. Good luck on your journey. You got this!

God bless,

Jinxy

Most Active