Surgery on 6/18/2020

thestarsarespellbound
on 6/16/20 10:50 am

My surgery date is almost here! I'm so excited and a tad nervous. When I was 14 I went through an 8 hour spinal fusion surgery for severe scoliosis so I feel like it I can get through that, I can through this! I just have this fear in the back of my mind that I may fail.

I was also wondering, do you have any surgery day advice?

PuggleDad
on 6/22/20 2:33 am

I hope surgery went well, I just joined up a few days ago and didn't catch this. Let us know if there is anything you need to know about the current stage of recovery you're in, and what you should be doing going forward.

thestarsarespellbound
on 6/22/20 6:58 am

Hello! Surgery went well, I'm still sore from where they took out my stomach and I still have some gas pain but I'm walking it off. I am having trouble getting shakes down... I think because they are milk based. I tried a pea protein shake and was able to tolerate it. I'm wondering if soy would be good for me as well. I sent a message to my nutritionist. I'm just nervous about not meeting my protein goals.

PuggleDad
on 6/22/20 8:29 am

I am not qualified to give you advice on exactly what you should be drinking, but I have to think they're going to want you to get protein down in whatever way you can right now, regardless of whether it's soy-based or whatever. Muscle loss after surgery is real and meeting our protein goals can help so much. I lost a lot of muscle, and some of that is inevitable, but I definitely could have done better about lifting weights these last 3 months to prevent further loss (Coronavirus made that more difficult).

None of us were getting a ton of protein down right at first but you're going to be amazed at how fast you make progress.

thestarsarespellbound
on 6/23/20 7:18 am

Thank you :)! I'm chugging along. I was actually able to get an entire premier protein shake down yesterday with no issue so today I'm going for two. My protein goal is 50-60g a day.

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 51 views