If you can't eat your feelings what do you do?

Shuki
on 6/17/20 4:39 am

I am an emotional eater. If I have bariatric surgery and can't eat my feelings what do I do with them? What have you fine that works?

hollykim
on 6/17/20 10:14 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On June 17, 2020 at 11:39 AM Pacific Time, Shuki wrote:

I am an emotional eater. If I have bariatric surgery and can't eat my feelings what do I do with them? What have you fine that works?

many who are overweight eat feelings. Many of us have had great lunch going to therapy to find out WHY we eat our feelings and learn ways to deal with those feelings that are more appropriate than eating.
that is what I would suggest to you and to start therapy even now as you are considering what to do about surgery.

rocky513
on 6/19/20 4:47 am - WI

Therapy.

WLS fixes your stomach...not your head.

HW 270 SW 236 GW 160 CW 145 (15 pounds below goal!)

VBG Aug. 7, 1986, Revised to RNY Nov. 18, 2010

TheWombat
on 6/20/20 1:31 pm
VSG on 06/11/18

Although emotional eating isn't a big problem for me, I'm not immune to it. Here's what works for me:

I made a list of things that I could do to comfort myself when I'm stressed or sad. My list includes: a cup of really fragrant herbal tea, petting my cats, curling up under the duvet for a bi****ching a comedy.

I have a couple of foods that fit into my diet and also feel decadent. I make "hot chocolate" with a spoonful of cocoa, a spoonful of protein powder, a splash of nut milk, and sweetener to taste. This provides extra protein and is low calorie. Fresh seasonal fruit can also feel like a treat.

I have learned to enjoy things that stimulate other senses besides taste. When I pet my cats, I notice how soft their fur is, how warm they are, how their purring and breathing sounds. Herbal tea is often more for the fragrance than the taste.

I have learned that it's normal to sometimes want to eat for reasons other than hunger. Instead of feeling guilty about it, I prepare for it by having healthy choices available. Sometimes I want the sensation of crunching something; I keep watermelon or pomegranate seeds on hand for that. Sometimes I want something sweet; the "hot chocolate" I mentioned earlier is good for that, as is fresh fruit. Sometimes I want the companionship of a meal with friends; I might just have a cup of tea with them while they eat whatever.

Finally, I've learned to be more relaxed about food. I've learned that there are days that I want to eat more. That's OK because there are other days where I eat very little. If I eat something that I feel I shouldn't have eaten, I don't try to make up for it by eating less the rest of the day, or decide that I've blown the diet and give up until tomorrow. Instead, I just try to do better at the very next meal. I have learned to trust my body more. I still have to stay on top of things by tracking what I eat and making sure I have healthy meals available, but I'm no longer terrified that I will lose control to food.

Shuki
on 6/20/20 4:22 pm

Thanks. That's the kind of answer I was looking for. ?

Most Active