Sharp Pain Question

allbygrace
on 8/17/20 2:58 pm
VSG on 12/08/14

I had VSG on 12/8/14 trying to get off 30 lbs of regained weight. Today's question pertains to left side sharp pain. Just wondering if anyone else has this type of pain and what may be causing this sharp pain. The exact location of the pain is on my left side just below my rib cage. The pain comes to be when I turn over a certain way in my bed trying to lay on my side. The pain is so sharp it almost takes my breath away. It takes a few moments for it to go away. I have to breathe slowly and move very carefully to get into a safe position to get the pain to stop. While the pain is sharp it is very difficult for me to move around. I thought maybe I was constipated but why the sharp pain? Why does it hurt only when I turn a certain way while lying in bed? Then I am wondering if it is scar tissue on my stomach? Just wondering if anyone has this type of pain? What are your thoughts as to what may be causing this? I take miralax every morning for constipation. Would constipation cause a sharp pain on the left side just below my last rib? Your thoughts? Thank you!!

TheWombat
on 8/18/20 3:07 am
VSG on 06/11/18

Possibly your gallbladder is acting up? Or have you had it removed?

Another thought is a rib fracture. You can get a rib fracture without realising you've injured yourself.

I would definitely see a doctor about this.

allbygrace
on 8/18/20 6:11 am
VSG on 12/08/14

Thank you for responding. No, I haven't had my gallbladder removed. Is it located on my left side? Funny, it only hurts when I move a certain way while lying down and it is the sharpest pain ever!! I am thinking of going to the doctor about this but was wondering if it was just a scar tissue around my stomach from my bariatric surgery. ??? Thanks again!!

TheWombat
on 8/18/20 11:14 am
VSG on 06/11/18

The gallbladder is on the right, but pain from it can be felt elsewhere.

allbygrace
on 8/18/20 12:35 pm
VSG on 12/08/14

Thank you,,,, good to know! :)

White Dove
on 8/18/20 11:14 am - Warren, OH

Many of us have gallbladder problems after weight loss surgery. Talk to your doctor. Gallbladder removal can be a pretty quick and simple operation. It could also be scar tissue, muscle strain, rib fracture, or heart attack waiting to happen.

When it happened to me, I saw the doctor and he prescribed heartburn medicine. It did not help and we tried three different prescriptions over three months. Finally he suggested I go to the emergency room, tell them I had chest pain, and get it checked out.

Since all of the EKG and blood work was fine, they decided it must be gallbladder and I was scheduled for gallbladder surgery. But I was still in the hospital and they decided to also do a chemical stress test.

That test came back with blockage in my heart arteries. They scheduled a cauterization and were going to put a stent in. But they determined my blood vessels were too small for the stent and did a triple bypass heart surgery instead.

I am fine now, but learned that heart symptoms can be hard to detect.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 58 views