Decaf coffee?

Want2beMe
on 9/5/20 2:10 pm
VSG on 08/17/20

My surgery was August 17, I haven't had coffee but kind of crave it. I drink decaf with milk and Splenda so should i ask my doctor if its ok or because its caffeine free its fine? I don't want to rush anything if I'm not supposed to. I also have bottles of white tea raspberry flavor in my cupboards that no one wants, can I donate those to a food pantry or something? There so tasty but contain citric acid which the doctor said not to have.

White Dove
on 9/5/20 3:32 pm - Warren, OH

No citric acid is a complete new one for me. I think the decaf is fine. You want to take it slow and make sure it does not upset your stomach. Many go back to caffeine right out of the hospital.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

TheWombat
on 9/6/20 3:20 am
VSG on 06/11/18

Are you sure the "no citric acid" wasn't just a temporary restriction? I haven't heard of anyone being required to avoid ctric acid after WLS.

Want2beMe
on 9/11/20 8:00 am
VSG on 08/17/20

Sorry didn't respond sooner. The surgeon said to wait at least 6 months before drinking citric acid. Im allowed to drink decaf coffee without creamer, but milk is fine. I didnt add much Splenda to it because I can really taste the sweetness. I think drinking coffee will be once in a blue moon type thing. Strange how my taste buds have become so sensitive.

catwoman7
on 9/6/20 7:10 am
RNY on 06/03/15

surgeons are truly all across the board when it comes to coffee - either decaf or caffeinated. Some don't want you to ever drink it, some are OK with decaf, some are OK with decaf at first but to wait on caffeinated, so are OK with you drinking either as soon as you get home from the hospital. So yes - ask yours.

I think I may have had to wait a couple of weeks before drinking decaf (it'd be due to the acid in it, I would guess). I know I had to wait six months before drinking caffeinated.

Most Active