Bariatric Vitamins

Jocelyn P.
on 9/19/20 3:59 pm - San Antonio, TX

Hi all.

I had my surgery almost 10 years ago and have not been on this site in a long time. My new doctor drew all my labs/vitamins and I'm deficient in a few areas. She suggested a multivitamin.

My question is, what is your favorite Bariatric Multi-vitamin? I prefer the gummies.

Thanks!
~Jocelyn

5' tall  HW209/SW194/CW153.4/GW140
It's never too late to be who you might have been. ~George Eliot  

catwoman7
on 9/20/20 7:30 am
RNY on 06/03/15

a lot of us were told that gummies aren't as effective as chewables or tablets/capsules, so that may be part of the issue.

I just take (two) Centrum silvers - or the generic equivalent (CVS and Walgreens both have generic equivalents - and I'm sure other places do as well). I take one in the morning and one in the late afternoon.

califsleevin
on 9/20/20 8:02 am - CA

A good multivitamin is a good start if you aren't already taking one. It needn't be a specific bariatric multi as your sleeve doesn't significantly malabsorb anything, unlike the malabsorbing procedures like the RNY or DS, as most deficiencies for us are driven by our diet or individual metabolic quirks (my wife is chronically low on potassium, but that's just her, not her WLS). Centrum, or Centrum silver for us older folks, and their generic equivalents (I usually use the ones from Costco) are a good starting place, or check the labels and look for one that is higher in the nutrients you are deficient in.

With a sleeve, start with one a day (though a good argument can be made for starting with two to counter your immediate deficiencies) and make adjustments based upon your next labs. I only take one every other day as that's all I need to keep things up.

If iron is on your deficient list, consider taking a separate iron supplement, as the iron (and/or calcium) that's usually included in most multis is the cheapest, least absorbable form and usually isn't enough to counter a deficiency.

Sorry, but I can't help with gummies as I've never used them.

1st support group/seminar - 8/03 (has it been that long?)  

Wife's DS - 5/05 w Dr. Robert Rabkin   VSG on 5/9/11 by Dr. John Rabkin

Cathy H.
on 9/20/20 12:21 pm
VSG on 10/31/16

I take ProCare Health Bariatric Once A Day with 45mg Iron. These are what I started out with, but then switched to others after a year or so. I ended up going back to these because my labs are always excellent when I'm taking these. So they're worth the money to me (a little over $15/month). I get them on subscription from Amazon one bottle every 3 months.

Bariatric Once A Day with 45mg Iron

Livin' La KETO Loca!!
134 lbs lost since surgery, 195 overall!! Initial goal reached 9/15/17, (10.5 months)!
5'3", SW*: 299 GW: 175 HW 3/2015: 360 PSW* 5/2016: 330 *PSW=Prog Start Wt; SW=Surgery Wt

M1 -31, M2 -10, M3 -15, M4 -16, M5 -8, M6 -6, M7 -11, M8 -8, M9 -8, M10 -4, M10.5 -7 GOAL

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 60 views